Print Thread
#227513 13/11/10 04:41 AM
R
RoCk Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
R

I remember making this request a long time ago but it was never added. I wish there was an Open Folder button on the DCC Get/Send dialog during transfer.

Last edited by RoCk; 13/11/10 05:28 AM.
RoCk #227514 13/11/10 05:21 AM
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Not sure if I get your suggestion right but there's already a button called open folder when a dcc complete.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Wims #227515 13/11/10 05:27 AM
R
RoCk Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
R

Right. Sorry, I meant for it to always be present.

RoCk #227517 13/11/10 06:59 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I've seen this idea in other programs, and the biggest fault, imo, with it, is that people sometimes decide that they don't want the download to go to the directory shown and try to move it while the download is in progress. By not having this button it eliminates the option of trying to move a file while it's still downloading from the aspect of that program.

This makes sense to me and I can't think of any reason why being able to open the folder while the download is in progress would be beneficial. If I really wanted to open that directory, I could do so through Windows Explorer (NB: Not Internet Explorer, which is a different program).

RusselB #227579 15/11/10 07:36 AM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: RusselB
I've seen this idea in other programs, and the biggest fault, imo, with it, is that people sometimes decide that they don't want the download to go to the directory shown and try to move it while the download is in progress. By not having this button it eliminates the option of trying to move a file while it's still downloading from the aspect of that program.

Nothing wrong with doing this...

Quote:
This makes sense to me and I can't think of any reason why being able to open the folder while the download is in progress would be beneficial. If I really wanted to open that directory, I could do so through Windows Explorer (NB: Not Internet Explorer, which is a different program).

Think a little harder... Firefox, Chrome, and Safari all allow you to open the containing folder of a file while in progress. IE is the odd one out.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD; 15/11/10 07:36 AM.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
MeStinkBAD #227581 15/11/10 08:38 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Personally I prefer to not have the ability to move files while they are being downloaded, that way I know the full download goes to one location rather than chancing the download being split and missing some of it.

I did say that it was my opinion.

If this is added, I'll probably never use it. Heck, for most of my DCC transfers the transfer dialog is minimized and closes automatically, thus I don't see the buttons at any time now anyways.

RusselB #227592 15/11/10 05:22 PM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
You can't move a file that is being actively written to anyway. You'll just get an error message that says the file is currently in use in another program.

drum #227610 16/11/10 01:11 AM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
I really don't see why this should not be added.

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)
drum #227626 16/11/10 01:13 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: drum
You can't move a file that is being actively written to anyway. You'll just get an error message that says the file is currently in use in another program.

Yes you can... though I know this is not possible on a file system such as FAT, it is possible on NTFS, not to mention many other file systems. I've done this many times while downloading on old and modern versions of the MacOS. The reason why this is possible is because once a file is opened for reading or writing, the location specified in the directory tree is irrelevant, since you get a pointer to the file instead.

Take a look at mIRC's file handling commands. You specify a handle name rather than the file's path each time you read and write.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD; 16/11/10 01:31 PM.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
MeStinkBAD #227629 16/11/10 02:05 PM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Originally Posted By: MeStinkBAD
Yes you can... though I know this is not possible on a file system such as FAT, it is possible on NTFS, not to mention many other file systems. I've done this many times while downloading on old and modern versions of the MacOS. The reason why this is possible is because once a file is opened for reading or writing, the location specified in the directory tree is irrelevant, since you get a pointer to the file instead.

Take a look at mIRC's file handling commands. You specify a handle name rather than the file's path each time you read and write.

It is not possible in Windows. Try downloading a file in Chrome, Firefox, or mIRC (DCC), and try to move the file. It will give you an error message.

Link Copied to Clipboard