mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
I start to notice that when mirc is downloading the file and at the time same, I'm copying files (ie. about 2GB+ of files) to another computer in LAN. There is drastic drop on the download speed within mIRC. I don't believe I have issue with mIRC 6.x. I know if there multiple downloads occurring on mIRC. mIRC will give priority to one offer better speed. Unless this is new feature in Window 7 that basically force priority on the pocket that is nearest?

T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
There is a minor socket issue on 7.14 that may be affecting dccs.

It will come fixed on next release.

R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
i installed 7.15 and i'm still seeing the same issue. i just another test by copying 2GB of files from my computer to another in my LAN then initialize dcc download and it was only download around 20kps once the transfer of 2GB of files are done, the dcc download jump to 330-500kbps

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
If you're using wireless and have wireless qos enabled large file transfers will impact the speed of other things, I have experienced it on my network.

R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
i'm using wired connection rather than wireless when it comes to files transfer. also my using a desktop rather than notebook

Last edited by rastudio; 10/11/10 05:12 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
DCC has never been, and, imo, probably never will be, the best method of transferring files from one location to another.

It's not bad for small things, like pictures, mIRC scripts, etc., where the file size is 10M or less, but when you get over that, there are much better methods and protocols (FTP being the main one) that work.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This has been the case with all versions of mIRC as far as I am aware. It is due to the DCC protocol which requires an ack for every packet sent. This results in congestion on the local network and slows down the transfer. I am not aware of a solution to this other than changing the DCC protocol.

R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
it is probably windows 7. i know i don't have any issue when i was running vista before. i found this article but i haven't try it out yet.

R
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
Originally Posted By: rastudio
it is probably windows 7. i know i don't have any issue when i was running vista before. i found this article but i haven't try it out yet.

here's the url that i was referring to
http://fedtechmagazine.com/article.asp?item_id=740

Link Copied to Clipboard