mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
dfarns Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
Sometime in the past week something happened and many of the financial chat rooms I keep open just seemed go dead. Most with no traffic and only a few persons (if any) in the room. Only one of the chat rooms is operating normally. Two of them are newsrooms where there should be constant updating of news headlines, and although they show the connecting message, nothing else. I checked the website for one of the newsrooms and it is live and showing continuous updated headlines.

The two networks I'm connected to are Othernet and FinancialChat. A third network, Internetplays.com, is showing a full complement of people, just not chat. In Othernet I'm connected to #daytraders, #newsroom, #pitstock, #tradingspace. In Financialchat I'm connected to #activetrader and #headlines. #ActiveTrader has a full room and is working normally right now.

I'm using mIRC 6.34. I tried shutting it down and starting up again, but that didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea about this? Is there some kind of global shutdown going on, or is this problem specific to my computer.

Dan

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It sounds like their bot isn't working or is disconnected. You'd be better off asking in those channels.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
dfarns Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
Tried asking for help in the two news channels...one(#headlines) wouldn't accept any input, saying that "channel moderation was in effect". On the other, #newsroom, I've been waiting for 11 hours with no sign of life from anyone.

That's why I'm asking here, hoping to get an answer about this problem, or finding someone to confirm that it exists outside of my computer.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Since you are getting no response in those channels, have you noticed any one (or more than one) nick that is usually there and isn't? If so, then I would suspect that that nick (or those nicks) belong to bots that normally run the channel are absent, as mentioned earlier.

You might also check other channels on the same network to see if you get a better response in them.

Since you are getting response/connection on at least one other network, the problem is (probably) not with your computer nor with anything that you have control of. Exception being if you have script(s) that are specific to that network.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Do you see room messages? Can you part and join as normal? Is the amount of nicks in the /who $chan equal to $nick(#,0) ?

Have you talked to anyone on that network about it?

D
dfarns Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
I have a second computer, on a LAN, and I started up mIRC and it is connecting normally to all the channels I'm having trouble with, and I see the normal amount of traffic.

Also, on the first computer where the problem lies, in #newroom (Othernet) there are only a few nics listed (compared to the usual long list of nics) and I've been able to exchange words with some of them. The other news chat room that I'm having trouble with, #Headlines (Financialchat), seems to be off the air on both computers. So it is not producing news headlines at all.

On my second computer, I just asked some questions about this in #newsroom. So far all I've gotten is the suggestion to re-install mIRC. Somehow that seems too easy a solution.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Sometimes the easiest solution is the best solution... In any case, it wouldn't hurt.

D
dfarns Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
D
I don't trust simple solutions that have no basis in fact. I considered re-installing mIRC but then I would have to figure out how I set up the 8 channels that open automatically when I start up the program. And I haven't been able to find where I did that (it's not in Perform). It's like the standard simple solution to a computer problem, just "reinstall the OS", forgetting the hours and hours you will spend reinstalling all the programs you have set up. And even if the simple solution works, you've learned nothing.

At any rate, the problem is solved. #newsroom turned out to be an Othernet split server problem, and some good person posted the name of the other server(Fremont.CA.US.Othernet), which is now working as it should. So are the three other channels I watch on that network. #headlines (on Financialchat) seems to be a dead channel for the time being.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Dan

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Re-installing mIRC can be a simple process. Just use the Upgrade option, then all of your settings and scripts will be maintained with the updated mIRC.

With my years of using mIRC and computers before that, I am well versed in how easy/difficult it is to re-install programs, and mIRC is one of (if not) the easiest one I've come across.

I'm glad to hear that a solution for your problem was found.

Link Copied to Clipboard