Print Thread
#227083 24/10/10 05:06 PM
P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
I would like a better way to control which windows get logged. I'm on multiple servers and I don't want to log most of them, which is a bit of a pain since I have to right click and turn off logging for each new chan.

My suggestion is a simple dialog where you can add networks/chans
you want logged. For each network you add there would be a whitelist/blacklist for the chans. So you could log all but 1 or 2 chans you add to the list or log only added chans.

I know logging isn't the most important feature but this would make things simpler for people like me who like logging certain chans and ignore the rest.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
What do you have against the /log command?
From the help file
Quote:
/log <on|off> <window> [-f filename]

Turns logging on and off for a window, if you specify a filename the logs file dialog is not popped up.

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Originally Posted By: pball
I know logging isn't the most important feature but this would make things simpler for people like me who like logging certain chans and ignore the rest.

It already works this way. Set automatic logging to disabled (for channels) so that new channels will not be logged by default. Then in each channel window you wish to log, click on the icon at the top left of the window and go to Logging > On. That channel will now always be logged.

How is this any different from a blacklist/whitelist?

P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
Is there a simple way to see what chans have logging on then? A dialog would let you see that without right clicking on every chan to check their logging status. Also my idea would allow for making simple rules, so if I do start to hang out in a new chan on a server I like logging in, I wouldn't have to do anything.

edit:
your suggestion of turning off global logging and enabling it one by one is nothing like like a white/blacklist in my opinion. A blacklist would log in any new chan you join. Granted your suggestion is like a whitelist since you'd have to add chans either way.

Double edit:
mirc really needs to track logging by network since I'm in the same chan on two networks and I can't turn off logging for one without the other stopping also.

Last edited by pball; 25/10/10 03:11 PM.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The dialog is really the only difference between how it works now and your suggestion. A dialog would make tracking logging much easier, but then again, there are many things where dialogs to track the settings could be useful. Where does mIRC stop and let scripting take over? Khaled's been cleaning up settings and simplifying them recently, so adding more to the options may not be something he wants to do.

Other than the issue with two channels that have the same name on different networks, it's pretty easy to set up your own dialog to manage logging. The dialog can simply call /log whenever you open a new window (channel, query, etc) and use either on or off depending on what settings you put into the dialog. That's something that can be set up very easily and in a short amount of time. I doubt you'd have more than 20-30 lines in the script unless you start adding a lot of options to it.

If you want to handle channels on different networks, until mIRC supports different logging settings on a per-window basis that is based on network, you can make this work by using the same dialog method above. Instead of using the built-in logging, you'd just want to create your own logging script. Making your own logging script also shouldn't be that difficuly and it provides you with greater control over how logging works compared to what is available from mIRC.

Either way you do it, it shouldn't take all that long to write and should be all basic commands (nothing requiring expert scripting skills).

All of that said, I'm not against having more logging options or a dialog to manage logging. I just think that it's easy enough to script that it isn't too critical. The one logging thing I *do* want to see improved is the issue with echo causing double timestamps in logs that was mentioned in the bugs forum months ago.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Originally Posted By: pball
Is there a simple way to see what chans have logging on then? A dialog would let you see that without right clicking on every chan to check their logging status. Also my idea would allow for making simple rules, so if I do start to hang out in a new chan on a server I like logging in, I wouldn't have to do anything.

You can check to see which channels have logging enabled/disabled if you look at your mirc.ini file under the [logging] section; it's not the most user friendly method, but it is possible to find that information.

Quote:
edit:
your suggestion of turning off global logging and enabling it one by one is nothing like like a white/blacklist in my opinion. A blacklist would log in any new chan you join. Granted your suggestion is like a whitelist since you'd have to add chans either way.

Yes, I was describing a way to get the same effect as a whitelist. As for a blacklist, that would be the same as enabling logging globally, then disabling logging on each channel you don't want it to log. My point was just that it's already possible to do the same type of thing with the current system.

Quote:
Double edit:
mirc really needs to track logging by network since I'm in the same chan on two networks and I can't turn off logging for one without the other stopping also.

I agree.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:
I'm not sure if this would handle what you mean or not, but mIRC does have an Include Network option in the logging dialog. mIRC Options -> IRC -> Logging
While I log everything automatically, I use this option in order to keep logs of channels with the same name but on different networks logged properly.

P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
The network option in the logging options do nothing for multi-network logging. Just lets you sort the log files in subfolders

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
The following tells mIRC to save logs as Windowname.network.log in your logging directory.
Quote:
1.0) press Alt +o
2.0) Click "IRC"
3.0) Click "Logging"
4.1) Check "Include Network"
4.2) Uncheck "Make Folder"

Last edited by FroggieDaFrog; 27/10/10 03:22 AM.

I am SReject
My Stuff
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Very similar to what I mentioned. I simply didn't go through it all step by step.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The point he's trying to make is that saving individual channel logging settings isn't network specific. If you change #channel1 on one network, all channels of that name on all networks will use those new logging settings. The logs will be separated by network, but the settings aren't per network.

* I haven't actually tested that as I haven't had time to do much testing of anything lately, but it's probably correct.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard