mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#226781 14/10/10 06:38 PM
L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
I've asked this before, and don't remember the answer - it was YEARS ago and prolly on an older version of the MB no longer alive. Especially with all the new changes that have gone on, is there thought to incorporate the mirc faq right into the mirc help file? I'm sure there's duplications etc, but I've always felt that the faq in conjunction with the standard help file would round out the documentation nicely. The last mircfaq file I have is an HLP file, from years ago, and it's 254k. The current mirc help chm file is only 355k, so the bloat would be MINIMAL. Sure, it's not as big a problem as in years past with dialup etc, but I think combining them and putting it into the actual instal would be a nice thing. Thoughts? I referenced the FAQ for things that werent in the HLP (now CHM) file, like scripting examples. I still think those are important outside of the definitions for the beginners.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Are you sure you've got the files referenced in the right order?

The help file (CHM) has a lot more scripting examples in it then any FAQ file that I've seen in regards to mIRC.

L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
well, I havent poured thru it at length, but IIRC the mircfaq did a better job of showing "real world" scripting examples than the basic help file ever did (in the past mind you). Examples under the script pieces are important, but showing how they work together is just as important, and for that it SEEMS to me that the FAQ does a better job of showing ongoing scripts rather than one command at a time. Make sence?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Do you have specific examples of "real world" scripting examples? I don't recall anything useful from the FAQ, and AFAIK it was mostly high level IRC stuff, not specific to mIRC.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #226851 17/10/10 05:28 AM
L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
well, it goes into aliases:

showing the very basics of how to format the alias (which even now is very important tho basic)
joining multiple channels
changing multiple modes (tho showing it could handle multiple TYPES of changes bans/voice/ops would be nice too)
demode/kick/ban
spacing importance
function keys
evaluation brackets
using multiple strings ($1-$3)
the importance of $$1
$? dialog boxes
$! in conjunction with $?
$?="text"

scripts:
/sum (adding)
/perc (percentage)
/atime (american time as the file calls it)
user levels
the 10 ban masks (yes I know there's actually more than that)
ctcp responses
address/mask identifiers
opping friends on CTCP commands
PART/JOIN/CONNECT/DISCONNECT/KICK/OP/DEOP/TOPIC/notify/unnotify/ mode vs server mode
flags and user levels in scripts
variables (increasing and resetting)
raw scripting
multiple line commands such as "away/greet/"
if/then/else

popups:
Join
Away
Hierarchy menus using dots preceding the name including multiple levels

All of this really should be in a section called beginner scripting or something similar. While it's just the basics, it's something all scripters should know. The mircfaqw I have is highly outdated:

Frequently Asked Questions about mIRC.
The mIRC FAQ is maintained by Tjerk Vonck
This is FAQ version 61, revision 2
Latest FAQ Update: November 23rd, 2006
Latest mIRC version: 6.21 November 23rd, 2006

but still, there IS an importance to it especially showing about connection errors etc. ALL of this information is useful

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
The FAQ is not meant as a scripting tutorial. How to write an alias, script and/or popup should be (and is) the responsibility of the "aliases", "scripts" and "popups" sections in the help file respectively.

Same with evaluation brackets, spacing, function keys, $1-, $?, scripts, popups, etc. Those are all documented in the help. If you feel as though the help is not documenting these properly, you should raise individual feature suggestions for them.

I'm still not seeing anything you mentioned as being in the FAQ that isn't already in the help file in some capacity. Everything you mentioned has a help topic.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #226882 18/10/10 04:59 AM
L
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
L
again, it's not a matter of it not being there. I always thought the FAQ rounded out the help file better, but that's fine if others dont. Was just a thinking out loud kind of thing

Link Copied to Clipboard