mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
N3M3S1S Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
N
Well I'm nearing the end of my current mIRC project (after 9 months of work its nearly done!) and I will be needing a new project! So I'm thinking about branching out into a new programming language, I have been writing mIRC scripts for over 10 years now and will be writing more mIRC scripts in the future. Khaled if your out there PLEASE COMMENT

But I've been having this itch to do something different, and I've been looking into various things. Then I decided what I wanted to do. I am going to attempt to make an IRC client, probably just for fun, I doubt it will be better than mIRC, but I've been looking over different programming languages (C/C++, python, perl etc.) and I decided that I want to learn the programming language that made mIRC what it is today!

So does anyone happen to know what programming language that is?

(Please excuse my n00bness, I haven't ventured much into programming outside of MSL)

Last edited by N3M3S1S; 24/09/10 08:19 AM.

"There is no theory of evolution, only a list of creatures Chuck Norris allows to live."
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
pretty sure it's C/C++

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Originally Posted By: N3M3S1S
Then I decided what I wanted to do. I am going to attempt to make an IRC client

Oh god.

probably just for fun

It won't be much fun, especially if you use C/C++.

I decided that I want to learn the programming language that made mIRC what it is today!

No you don't.

If it's your first real programming language, pick something that at least does memory management and has decent IDE support, otherwise you will be shooting yourself in the foot within minutes. C isn't a good starter language, C++ is even worse.

C/C++ are also not languages meant for "fun". These days they're really only used for low-level systems programming or highly optimized code-- you need neither. If you want to have fun, choose a higher level language like Python, Ruby, Java or C#.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
N
N3M3S1S Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
N
I've been looking at Python as well, does it have what I would need?

"There is no theory of evolution, only a list of creatures Chuck Norris allows to live."
N
N3M3S1S Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
N
Well seeing as how its a challenge, I just got the material necessary to teach me C/C++ including Dev-C++ as well as various different tutorials and guides.

We'll see what happens laugh

<.< Im still open for a different language though as I am still reading up C/C++ and havent started the project yet.

Will be starting this project as soon as I finish mIRC-DeluXe (hopefuly within the next few days.)

Im open to suggestions!

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
knowing C++ is in my eyes a very good thing. in the IT world there is still a lot of asking for the skill.

it's true though that JAVA and C# are a LOT easier to learn and use.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
The first thing you need to do is understand the many concepts of object-oriented programming. It's usually not enough to learn by memory the syntax and common classes, interfaces, etc. of those languages, if your OOP knowledge is not solid. You'll never gain a deep understanding of Java and C#'s (to mention a couple of languages) APIs if you use them as mere libraries, like many programmers do.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
If you are new to OOP and using windows, I'd suggest VB/vb.net. It's memory managed, so you don't have to bother and with Visual Studio(download for free from Microsoft, just search Google) it's pretty easy to learn once you know the theory behind OOP. As someone else stated, OOP isn't just syntax memorization, you need to understand why things are setup and used the way they are or you won't get very far.

As for C/C++, I wish you good luck. They, by no means, are easy languages to learn, but if you do manage it you will know one of the strongest OOP languages out there smile

I am SReject
My Stuff
N
N3M3S1S Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
N
Hmm..

Well I downloaded Dev-C++, and I've googled up several different information sources on C/C++ including a few tutorials. Im going to attempt at the C/C++ for my next project.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: argv0
If you want to have fun, choose a higher level language like...Java...

I'm pretty sure Java and fun don't belong in the same sentence. :P

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I thought the same thing about MSL and fun when I started. Now, however, for the most part, I do find scripting in MSL to be fun.

N
N3M3S1S Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
N
+1 I do enjoy coding MSL laugh

Im starting to like this C/C++ too. Its different and seems fun. But I wont try to dive in until I'm done with my current project. Almost there. I'm at the final debugging and help file stage xD

Link Copied to Clipboard