mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Damaeus Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
When I'm connected to more than one server, and I get a private message in a server I have not selected, private messages come through in a new window. When I get private messages on a server I have selected and am actively participating on, private messages come into the same window as the channel I'm chatting on.

I'd like to know what setting I should change to make ALL private messages come to a new window (and therefore a new log) whether or not I'm participating on the server at the moment it arrives.

Thanks,
Damaeus

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Are you running any scripts that could be affecting this?
Also, please note that notices sent to you will appear to you in the active window, even though you are the only one that sees the message. This is similar, but still different from pm/queries.

One other thing you can check (I've never used this myself) is the setting at Options -> IRC -> Use single message window

D
Damaeus Offline OP
OP Offline
D
That "Use single message window" option is unchecked, but private messages still come to the active channel window unless a new window has already been opened. I found this in the help file for the same panel the above option was on:

Iconify query window

If someone sends you a query, the default is for the query window to open, ready for input. You can select this option to force mIRC to iconify the window preventing it from taking the focus from the window you are currently in.

That option does not actually exist on the panel. Maybe it was moved and Kaled didn't update that part of the help file.

And I'm not experienced with scripts. The only ones I have are rarely used and only for colorful chats.

I also know that the notices sent to me will appear in the active window. That's the behavior I want to change. I'd like each new private message to automatically open a new window on the first one. Again, this happens if the private message comes through on a server I'm connected to, but not actively participating on. (Like if I get a private message on EFnet, it opens a new window if I'm actively chatting on Undernet.)

Damaeus

T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Originally Posted By: Damaeus
And I'm not experienced with scripts. The only ones I have are rarely used and only for colorful chats.

Sounds like a script that could cause the problem. In order to color up your chat, the script needs to halt the original message, and display the message on it's own, which means the script governs where the messages appear, not mIRC.

Try to unload the script, or type "/remote off" to see if the problem still occurs. You can turn the scripts back on with "/remote on".

Learning something new every day.

Link Copied to Clipboard