mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I have had some recent issues with an OP on the network I am on, he has been very disrespectful towards me. He has called me a dumbass so If there is any way I can deny him access to my account I would love to show him what a dumbass can do.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There isn't an "account" and no one has access to your "settings." A channel OP can ban you or kick you as often as they like. It's their channel. If you don't like what a channel OP does, you can either appeal to other OPs in the channel or else choose a better channel.

If you are talking about IRCOPs (network OPs), then they have more access to seeing information about your connection and can choose to ban you or kick you from the server/network itself. The only option there is to try talking to another IRCOP about it.

Anyone can see basic info about you such as /whois information, which includes things like your hostname/IP address, your Name (if set), what channels you're on, etc. You cannot prevent this from being seen.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I beg to differ, the ops in this particular network were able to change my nick.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
All network ops (granted they have the correct privileges) can do this. There is nothing you can do about it.

I think the message here is to take jokes as jokes and make friends rather than enemies.

If the network ops are doing this with malevolent intentions, then you may just stay away from their network.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I don't know if this applies or not, but if you are finding that some IRCops seem to be abusing their abilities, you can take the issue up with other IRCops and some networks have an Abuse policy and/or channel where you can let the other IRCops know about this situation.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Secor941,

The people you speak about are OPERs, not OPs. They have access to commands like /SVSNICK which can be used to change your name to something else.

Sadly commands like this are often abused on some networks because a lot of people view having OPER status as a badge of honour giving them a licence to treat people however they like.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done about it. If the staff of the server you use are too immature to manage the server well then the best thing to do is take your friends and use another network.

Link Copied to Clipboard