mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
P
Hello

When I updated to 7.1, the first feature I tested was Unicode.

Certain UNICODE symbols work, ie; δ [Greek letter: Delta]

However, certain other symbols, such as → [Material implication, used specifically in Mathematical Propositional Logic], show up as a black-square in the 'typing bar', however the correct symbol is shown within the 'chat window'.

Please fix this bug in your next release.

Thanks in advance,

Chip D. Panarchy

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The edit line that you're referring to is controlled by Windows, I believe. That means that Windows is determining what to show or not show. You may need to install something to get full functionality of Unicode from Windows. If you're on XP, there's a language pack that you'll need. If you're on Vista or 7, I think that's installed by default. Maybe someone else knows what you'll need to make it work.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I'm inclined to agree with Riamus here.

I'm on Win7 and that character works fine..

E
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
E
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate with mIrc 7.1 and I was going to report the same issue (except with character ♥ ) until I found this topic. So I looked again. Changing View, Font from the default of FixedSys to something like Consolas or Courier New resolved the problem for me (I'm still searching available fixed width fonts/sizes/regular or bold to see which combination I like best).

Edit: annoyingly, having discovered the above, I clicked "Use default" to switch me back to the default settings, and it now works with FixedSys as well.

Edit 2: although only until I minimised and restored.

Last edited by EdLoach; 19/08/10 12:35 PM.
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Is the character showing up now, in the browser? If it shows up in the browser on the same OS you run miRC, it's not the OS.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
There is also Fixedsys Excelsior, a Unicode version of the popular Fixedsys font:

http://www.fixedsysexcelsior.com/

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Originally Posted By: argv0
There is also Fixedsys Excelsior, a Unicode version of the popular Fixedsys font:

http://www.fixedsysexcelsior.com/

Finally, thanks for the tip!

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Finally? It's been around since 2004. The last release was 2007, which almost predates mIRC's support for unicode.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As argv0 said, and also this has been mentioned multiple times over the past month. It isn't something people are trying to hide. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Originally Posted By: argv0
Finally? It's been around since 2004. The last release was 2007, which almost predates mIRC's support for unicode.

I said finally, because I posted a topic regarding fonts some weeks ago and never got a satisfactory response, and this font is perfect smile

Link Copied to Clipboard