mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Lepardi Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
L
I don't see my friends in our channel anymore after I updated to 7.1 I think. It's like the channel never existed, not even Q is there.

M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
What is the server? And what is the channel?

L
Lepardi Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: maconga
What is the server? And what is the channel?
#hö in QuakeNet

M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Please read this. It has to do with mIRC now being full Unicode now or something like that

https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=223676

L
Lepardi Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So do I have to downgrade to 6.35?

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
yes, you should just use 6.35. The only big reason to use 7 is Unicode support, which you don't want at this time for this type of problem.

Some day hopefully all irc networks will update and use Unicode only then there won't be problems like this.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Problem is, if everyone keeps hanging at 6.35, nobody will ever cross over. It's not an IRC network problem. It's the problem that your friends are still using outdated software or not enabling unicode support.

Learning something new every day.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Nobody will? 95% or more of users can use mIRC 7 and won't even notice a difference regarding unicode because most either already use it (mIRC's supported it for years) or else they don't need it.

No matter what mIRC does, you'll always have people using "outdated" software. Check the client stats for any major network and large channel and you'll find many using mIRC versions all the way back to the 5.x versions. People need to choose to either move forward or to remain in the past and nothing anyone can do or say will change their minds. mIRC should not be forced to remain in the past just because a small percentage of users want it to.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Nobody will? 95% or more of users can use mIRC 7 and won't even notice a difference regarding unicode because most either already use it (mIRC's supported it for years) or else they don't need it.

No matter what mIRC does, you'll always have people using "outdated" software. Check the client stats for any major network and large channel and you'll find many using mIRC versions all the way back to the 5.x versions. People need to choose to either move forward or to remain in the past and nothing anyone can do or say will change their minds. mIRC should not be forced to remain in the past just because a small percentage of users want it to.

I was mostly referring to specific groups. If you have a group of say 8 people, and they all try mIRC 7 one at a time, discover that they can't see their friends, and then move back to mIRC 6.35, they will all remain stuck on 6.35 for all eternity.

Instead of waiting (waiting on what exactly?), you might want to check with your friends if all of you can manage to enter the unicode version of the channel. If so, don't keep falling back to mIRC 6.35, but make the move.

Learning something new every day.
P
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
P
Originally Posted By: pball
yes, you should just use 6.35. The only big reason to use 7 is Unicode support, which you don't want at this time for this type of problem.

Some day hopefully all irc networks will update and use Unicode only then there won't be problems like this.

Did you really understand the problem? How are you supposed to "upgrade" when the channel name with UTF-8 means it's a totally different channel than the original. It has nothing to do with the irc network.

You wait and wait until everybody decides to change the channel to a different name? You have two channels and keep asking people to move the another one?

This is just crazy. Why doesn't even /raw -n join #channel work? Or yes, it joins the channel but doesn't open the window for it... I think this worked earlier, but is now broken with the 7.14 frown

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Pertsa2000
How are you supposed to "upgrade" when the channel name with UTF-8 means it's a totally different channel than the original. It has nothing to do with the irc network.

You wait and wait until everybody decides to change the channel to a different name? You have two channels and keep asking people to move the another one?

This is just crazy.

Unicode has been around for a very long time. It's time people start using it so everyone has equal access to their channels/networks without having to keep switching between code pages. If channel owners want to change to the UTF8 version of the channel, it really isn't that difficult. They simply move to the new channel, and put a notice in the old telling people to move. Give that a week or so and then kick and 5 min ban everyone still in the old channel with a note to go to the new one. Then, put in place an automatic kick with notice when anyone joins the channel for a week or so and then set the channel to invite only for awhile and then drop it entirely. Almost everyone will have made it to the new channel by then.

Don't like that method? Try another. In any case, changing channels isn't that difficult. I've done it a few times in the past. What it comes down to is whether or not the channel owners care about losing visitors who want to use the newer version of mIRC. If they don't care and want to force people to use older versions, that's up to them. But if they want to keep all of their visitors, they need to change the name to UTF8. They may not like having to, but the channel name is still the same... in fact, the name becomes the same for everyone regardless of code page instead of one thing for one person and something else for another.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard