mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
MrEen Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
I doubt this is going to show correctly here, but I'm going to try.

In the channel, I type //topic $chan 4♬♪‿♭♫⁀♬‿♭♫⁀♬♪‿♩♫ (it's a bunch of music notes, colored red) and I see myself changing the topic to what it should be. However, the titlebar of the channel just shows a bunch of boxes.

/list #channelname returns the proper topic in the list window, as does /topic #channelname (in the channel window itself.)

I believe I had a similar problem at times with 7.x betas, and IIRC changing fonts seemed to correct the problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC 6.3 custom-drew the titlebar when it contained unicode. This caused problems on Vista/7 as it caused the mIRC window to lose the Aero glass effect. As far as I know 7.1 no longer custom-draws the titlebar for this reason, calling Windows' Unicode APIs instead. The upshot of this seems to be that Windows' font-linking routines are now used instead of mIRC's.

On IRC you (and Mrs. Eenie) said you were running XP, which seems not to do much in the way of font-linking at all unless East Asian Language support is enabled in Control Panel -> Regional and Language options. I'm not sure what this setting changes as the fonts it installs don't seem to be enough, but once the setting is enabled the 7.1 titlebar will display correctly (as you confirmed). There might be a way to get the same results without needing to install 230mb of stuff, but I haven't been able to find it. An alternative is to change the titlebar font in Windows' display options to one that includes a wider range of Unicode characters.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As mentioned above, the new version of mIRC now uses a standard method for displaying Unicode text in Windows which works better with Windows Vista and 7. Older versions of mIRC had to use a custom display method for window titlebars that was complex and inconsistent in some situations. It is possible that if you install the full language support in Windows XP (which is something that is a part of Windows Vista/7 by default) that this will resolve the issue.

M
MrEen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you both for your replies. The control panel setting did fix this issue as Collective mentioned (as did changing the titlebar font to one with unicode in the name.)

Link Copied to Clipboard