Print Thread
#218933 28/02/10 03:24 PM
R
rgcman Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
I have downloaded MIRC but every time I try to connect to a server I get the message DNS POOL and then Connection timed out can anyone help me

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
1. Please post the full message your getting.
2. Let us know your environment (operating system) etc.
3. are you running your own DNS process ?

Thanks.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
DNS pool isn't an error message, so don't worry about that message. If you are timing out connecting, it could be that you're trying to connect to a server that's not working well, or using a port that isn't working well on that server, or have some issues with your settings. It's also possible that your ISP blocks IRC connections.

Please provide more details so we can help. This such as what server you're connecting to, do you use a router and/or firewall, what OS, what mIRC version, any scripts you have, and any additional information you can give that might narrow down the problem. Also, let us know if you can connect to other networks besides the one you're trying to connect to. Try the main networks like efnet or undernet.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
D
im getting this error every time
can any one help me

* Connect retry #14 us.quakenet.org (6669)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
-
* Connect retry #15 us.quakenet.org (6669) (dns pool)
-
* Connect cancelled
-
* Connecting to irc.dal.net (6666)
-
-
* Connect retry #1 irc.dal.net (6666) (dns pool)
-
-
* Connect retry #2 irc.dal.net (6666) (dns pool)
-
* Connect cancelled
-
* Connecting to irc.dal.net (6664)
-
-
* Connect retry #1 irc.dal.net (6664) (dns pool)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Don't keep cancelling it. Give it a chance to try other servers. DNS Pool is *not* an error. It just tells you that you're trying a variety of servers is a "pool" of servers using that one address. I see you did let it run longer on one attempt, but let it go longer on other servers you're trying.

If you still can't connect after giving it time to try multiple servers (give it at least 10-20 tries), then try specifying a server name:

/server jade.va.dal.net (I can't remember the exact server name since I haven't been on Dalnet in years, but it's something like that)

Or, use the server's IP address:

/server 123.456.789.012 (Use the real address, this is just an example of how to use the command)

Or, try different ports that are valid for the server like this:

/server 123.456.789.012:6667
/server jade.va.dal.net:6667

Again, use the correct server name and/or IP address. These are examples and you'll have to look up real server names/IP addresses to use. Google can do that for you.

Beyond that, you may have firewall or router settings that need adjusted or you're on a network (work, school, etc) that is blocking the use of IRC.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard