X
xgpt Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
X
How do I set it up...

so that when I fire up mIRC...

ALL of my pre-defined-servers and channels will automatically connect?

I'm having difficulty figuring this out. xchat has a feature where you can just right-click "auto-join this channel" or "auto-connect to this server" in the preferences dialog, and I can't quite figure out the equivalent in mIRC

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Basic code
Code:
on *:start:{
.server network1 -j #chan1,#chan2,#chan3
.server -m network2 -j #chan4,#chan5,#chan6
}

Replace network1 and netowrk2 with the actual network name/address
Also replace #chan1 (etc) with the actual channel names.

NOTE: if the channel requires a key for entry, this code will require editing.

To add additional networks, copy the format of the second .server line

M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
RusselB:

Whereabouts do I apply that code? Also, will this work with multiple irc servers open at once or will this only work with one irc server window open?

Thank you

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Press Alt-R, make sure you're on the Remotes tab. Then, if what you see is blank, you can paste it there. If there's anything showing there, go to the File menu and choose New. Then paste in the new file.

server -m will open in a new window, so just copy/paste the -m line over and over for each server you need and they'll all be in separate windows.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
Thank you for your response. I understand the process in doing this, but will this only work when having one Mirc open? Like can I open Mirc and have my channels auto-start and open up another Mirc by clicking on my desktop icon and then having another server and channel(s) open?

Am I making sense?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
While it is possible to have multiple copies of mIRC open, it is not necessary for multiple connections.

The script and advice that has been given is designed for multiple connections/networks with one copy of mIRC being open.

It does not make sense, from the stand-point of system resources to have multiple copies of mIRC open in order to have multiple networks connected.

If you use the script/advice given, and you open a 2nd copy of mIRC using the same shortcut, then the same mirc.ini file will be used, and, thus, the same script(s) will be used.

If you have a reason for wanting/needing to run multiple copies of mIRC simultaneously, please tell us the reason and we'll have a better chance of coming up with a solution that works for you.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The easiest way to run multiple copies of mIRC with different settings/scripts/connections is to install the multiple copies of mirc and put mirc.ini into the same folder as mirc.exe in each of those copies. You can also just change the shortcut so it points to a different mirc.ini file, but I find that when you're using different scripts, it's much easier to have different folders to keep them separate. Either way will let you run different scripts and have different settings.

Invision Support
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
... the easiest way to run multiple copies of mIRC with different settings/scripts/connections is to install a single copy of mIRC and use the command line options to point to a different version of mIRC.ini (e.g. could use mirc1.ini, mirc2.ini). You don't have to keep you scripts separate, as each mirc.ini points to the separate files. Just as long as you understand the naming convention!

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I was waiting for someone to reply with that. It's a matter of opinion. Putting mirc.ini in the folder with mirc.exe isn't really any more difficult than changing the shortcut. And when you have many scripts and are doing completely different things with mIRC and especially when you're testing things such as the current beta or your own scripts and don't want to mix things up, I find it's nicer to just keep everything separate. mIRC takes up very little space to install it multiple times, so there's not really any reason why you shouldn't do so. Yes, for people without much going on, changing the shortcut is fine and it IS easy to do. But for anyone doing a lot of stuff with mIRC, having separate folders is a much cleaner way to do so and isn't any more difficult to do.

Invision Support
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Riamus, you bring out a few concepts in your reply which are worth exploring (if only to allow others to see what is happening).

When I replied orginally, I thought that you had one version of mIRC! What I was trying to bring out is *good practice*.

Ok - if you are working with multiple versions of mIRC (for whatever reason), then installing to separate folders is the most logical thing to do.

The issue I was responding to was the installation of multiple copies of mIRC (of the same version). Managing a single version of mIRC (with only one installation) through the use of command-line parameters is a more efficient and effective.

What you are saying about storing the script and configuration files in different folders is also logical and (depending on what you are doing) does make managing these files cleaner.

But you only need one executable (noting single version), and using command line parameters (perhaps in a short cut in each of the folders?) gives greater control over which script files are used where. This also allows for re-use of script files (better configuration management) instead of copying between folders, if that suits your needs. Script once, use many times!

Yes, partly a matter of opinion - but I think it is better to describe a cleaner way of doing it for the uninitiated than trying to describe an old way (which has been superseded for a large number of versions IIRC).

Cheers

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
M
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
M
on *:CONNECT: {
.timer 1 8 join #channel
.timer 1 20 join #channel
.timer 1 30 join #channel

}
on * DISCONNECT:.timer 1 1 /server youputserverhere } } 7000

Well i just wondering if this will help also, This is a timer auto join..

~Manit~
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As a note, your method does not take into account using multiple networks (you'll join the same channels on every network you connect to, which you usually don't want to do).

Also, the request was about also connecting to the networks on start. The original post with -j to join channels will work very well as long as you don't have too many channels to join at the same time and if you don't need to be identified by services before joining the channels.

Invision Support
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
The easiest way to run multiple copies of mIRC with different settings/scripts/connections is to install the multiple copies of mirc and put mirc.ini into the same folder as mirc.exe in each of those copies. You can also just change the shortcut so it points to a different mirc.ini file, but I find that when you're using different scripts, it's much easier to have different folders to keep them separate. Either way will let you run different scripts and have different settings.
I also prefer this method

Link Copied to Clipboard