mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Quote:
11.mIRC now remembers if MDI windows were maximized on exit and opens them maximized on next startup.

This doesn't happen for me.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have just tested this and it works fine here. Are you sure that you have not saved your status window position? If you have saved it, that takes priority.

V
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
V
Do we still really need saving option? All other Windows programs just remember were all windows were during exit.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, we need the saving option :-) Many users prefer to save their window positions at specific locations, so that even if they are moved around during a session they can always be reset to the original location using the reset option or when the window is opened later. It would not help if mIRC remembered where you last positioned a specific status/channel/query/etc. window since windows can be resized and repositioned in several ways during a session and you may not necessarily want that window to open in that location in future. Apart from that, you may not want mIRC to automatically remember the size and position of the hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of query and channel windows that you may open only once and never again. That said, mIRC remembers the default sizes of various window types automatically and applies them to those window types, if a particular window does not have a saved size/position. mIRC also follows the standard MDI window behaviour for newly opened windows that do not have a saved size/position by opening in them in cascade order which allows you to see the history of recently opened windows more easily.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Yes, we need the saving option :-) Many users prefer to save their window positions at specific locations, so that even if they are moved around during a session they can always be reset to the original location using the reset option or when the window is opened later. It would not help if mIRC remembered where you last positioned a specific status/channel/query/etc. window since windows can be resized and repositioned in several ways during a session and you may not necessarily want that window to open in that location in future. Apart from that, you may not want mIRC to automatically remember the size and position of the hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of query and channel windows that you may open only once and never again. That said, mIRC remembers the default sizes of various window types automatically and applies them to those window types, if a particular window does not have a saved size/position. mIRC also follows the standard MDI window behaviour for newly opened windows that do not have a saved size/position by opening in them in cascade order which allows you to see the history of recently opened windows more easily.

Why would those users who want to have the window open up in the same position every-time move said windows' positions after they've opened? The vast majority of users expect mIRC and every other program to launch the exact same way it was when they quit it. They may never see a specific query window open again, they may see it open daily. Either way the same rule applies.

W/ Windows applications, window location behavior appears very random. THe "Multiple Document Interface" exists only because Windows lacks a standard location for the menu bar. MDI applications are intended to run maximized. Unfortunately MDI applications are intended to run on a single monitor. The solution to this would to be disable MDI completely, make the menu/button bar it's own window that, when maximized, appears at the top of the current screen, and exist always on top whenever the application was front most.

The second paragraph maybe slightly off topic, but i agree that in this day it's odd that such an option to "remember" window positions would exist.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Many users move windows around temporarily, especially when it comes to IRC, where channels are joined, parted, maximized, and minimized constantly depending on activity. Therefore, it's better to have an explicit setting to "save" the location rather than implicitly remembering locations just because they've been moved. I think that's a simple explanation, and summarizes Khaled's position on the issue.

Originally Posted By: MeStinkBAD
MDI applications are intended to run maximized.

Please cite an official source for your claim. I've never heard that before in 15 years of using MDI applications in Windows. If this were true, MDI windows wouldn't have a "cascade" organization feature. MDI is simply a way to organize an application's windows hierarchically. I suppose this is all moot though, since mIRC is not getting rid of MDI any time soon.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
Why would those users who want to have the window open up in the same position every-time move said windows' positions after they've opened?

I like some channels to open in specific positions, however every so often I use the cascade or tile options to organize windows slightly differently for a different view and I later use the reset position to reset them all back to their saved positions. I am sure that other users use them in other ways.

Quote:
MDI applications are intended to run maximized.

And that is why MDI windows have a built-in cascade and tile feature? :-) They are not intended to run maximized but they do have that as an option. I very rarely have my MDI windows maximized and instead prefer to have multiple windows visible at the same time in different positions. However, I am sure that other users do prefer to open them maximized, that is why I added this most recent feature.

Quote:
The solution to this would to be disable MDI completely

mIRC already has that option, it is called compact mode and allows you to open all windows on the desktop. It is an option because many users, including me, prefer MDI windows.

Quote:
In this day it's odd that such an option to "remember" window positions

It depends on the type of application. Not every feature is applicable to every type of application. In some applications it might make sense, in others it might not. I personally do not think it make sense to clutter your mirc.ini file with hundreds of entries for channel and query window sizes and positions that you only joined once and will never visit again. It's all about finding a balance.

Link Copied to Clipboard