mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#222455 20/06/10 12:10 AM
H
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
H
I've been a user of mIRC for years, although I haven't done much advanced stuff with it.

Recently- like the last month or so- I'll log in and my favorite channels won't auto-join. I also can't join them manually. I know they are there, I just can't seem to join. Then, if I do manage to get on, I can't DCC anything.

Is this some simple fix that I'm just not getting, or is this some higher level weirdness?

H
OP Offline
H
The channel I'm looking to join is #bookz, if that helps.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
What network are you using?

Also, there's a chance that the channel(s) have been made secret (mode +s), private (mode +p) and/or keyed (mode +k)

If you're getting a message in your status window when you try to join the channel, it would help if you posted that message.

H
OP Offline
H
undernet

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Just connected to irc.undernet.org and joined #bookz without any problems.

H
OP Offline
H
Aaargh. Ok, then it's me. Thanks for verifying that.

What's weird is that until recently I had none of these problems, and I can't identify any reason for the change. No new software that would firewall me, etc.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Are you receiving any error messages at all? Check your status window. I cannot see any modes set on that channel that would prevent you from joining, perhaps it was a one-off chance?

Mentality/Chris
H
OP Offline
H
I just tried again.

This time I was able to log on, but when I went to #bookz I saw the names of all those in the channel but no chat. I tried @find for a term I knew should get some hits, but saw nothing. No chat, no responses, or anything. Then I was booted from the server after a minute or so.

When I reconnected to undernet, it tried to reconnect me to #bookz but there was no response- just the "Attempting to rejoin channel" message. And I was booted again after a minute or so.

In my status window I had the following messages:

-eu.undernet.org- *** Couldn't look up your hostname
-eu.undernet.org- *** No ident response

But no other messages
-

H
OP Offline
H
I also can't join any other channels when I do manage to get logged on for a minute.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Sounds more like you're having issues connecting (or rather, staying connected) rather than joining channels... there must be more messages in your status window than just the hostname lookup and ident check.

Without the error message that you receive when you end up being disconnected from the network it's pretty hard to help. There's dozens of possible reasons. If you find it post it here, and also check out the sticky threads in the Connection Issues forum.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard