mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#221283 13/05/10 03:16 PM
F
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
F
When copying by holding down the left mouse button, it would be nice that it scrolls as the mouse moves past the edges of the window. As of right now you can only copy chunk by chunk

I am SReject
My Stuff
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Agreed. I know it's been mentioned before and will hopefully be added in a version soon.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Also... selecting text should not COPY the text into the clipboard and then remove the selection. Should be select, followed by the Copy or CNTRL-C.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Originally Posted By: MeStinkBAD
Also... selecting text should not COPY the text into the clipboard and then remove the selection. Should be select, followed by the Copy or CNTRL-C.

that completely depends on what you are used to. it's a commonly used copying technique in e.g. unix/linux terminals. I don't see anything wrong with the current way. for windows users who have never encountered such a selection method it might be a bit tricky at first, but since the text window doesn't work with a cursor the 'regular' (windows) way of copying would be harder to do.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Sorry but it's unlikely that this behaviour will change, it's been around for ages, changing it would just cause confusion.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Agreed. We don't need Ctrl-C. Besides, that completely messes up using Ctrl for copying control codes.

Invision Support
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Agreed. We don't need Ctrl-C. Besides, that completely messes up using Ctrl for copying control codes.

No it wouldn't. With the editbox or listbox in focus, ctrl-c copies from that. The real reason why you need to keep the text selected is so you have a way of locking the scroll buffer at a position. Right now, if you have to keep the scroll buffer at the bottom to see updates. If it's one line up, the buffer becomes locked and you input something and you don't see it. Or the buffer updates and you don't see it. You may hear a lot of annoying beeps... but you have no clue what the beeps are from. The beeping on scroll buffer activity is really aggravating in a window that is being updated all the time. BEEP BEEP BEEP! And you have NO idea what window it is, or ever if it's the scroll buffer.

mIRC used to allow selecting text one way. No more. I see no reason why this can't be done... name some other application that auto copies to clipboard when you select text?

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What does the buffer and buffer beeping have to do with what I was talking about? I said I supported scrolling while copying (see my earlier post). What I said I did not agree with is using Ctrl-C to copy.

If you were to copy (Ctrl-C) from the editbox, you can ONLY copy it with control codes if they are in the line. We don't want to lose the ability to copy with AND without control codes when copying text from the channel. Ctrl is used to copy control codes. Using Ctrl-C will prevent either copying with or copying without control codes unless some other method is added.

As to other programs, I have seen others, but I don't use them anymore and can't give you specific names right now. However, keep in mind that most others aren't allowing a choice of with AND without colors/etc. Unless mIRC added a right click menu to "paste special" like you'd see in Excel, it's not a simple thing to change.

I see no benefit to making Ctrl-C do copying when it works fine as-is.

Invision Support
F
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
F
I'm with the others on this. It would make it quite annoying to the older mIRC'ers who are used to the current copy system. Leave the way it copies as is, just add scrolling to it

I am SReject
My Stuff
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Please don't hijack a feature suggestion with other requests. This thread is about a copy selection being able to scroll the window vertically when the mouse exits the window at the top or bottom (which I think is a good idea), nothing else. If you want to make a suggestion please start your own thread.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard