mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
while switching between channels ive noticed that the 7.0 beta is noticably slower at redrawing/updating the channel text than the 6.35 release, especially when the channel has a larger scroll back buffer (line buffer currently set to 5000)

win7 x64

_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
looks like it may have something to do with large ammounts of bold text in the buffer?

_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
this issue still exists in the 7.0 beta 19

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks the display speed should be improved in the next version.

_
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
_
beta 22 is an improvement over 19 smile

atm i do not see the lag when switching channels to those with large amounts of bold in their buffers.

thanks for that smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Good to hear :-)

D
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
D
Started testing the 7.02 beta since yesterday as I heard it was in public now and I read most of the threads active here now but I still have a strange slow-down when changing between channels, sometimes it updates slowly (much akin to how it is if you change into a channel with alot of unicode/ansi text in 6.35), sometimes it behaves like normal .

The text is simple and plain with perhaps some changed event/name color changes from the default and in some channels there is only a few lines of text.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I plan to release another beta later this week which has some tweaks to the display method - please let me know if that resolves this issue for you.

D
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
D
Nope, still have a visible slow refresh when switching channels sometimes. It seems very random (like I could switch between two channels repeatedly and continuesly get it, stop for a bit then do it again and it's gone) and I wonder if it is something to do with Aero perhaps?

In older version (6.35 and below) I usually only got this delay when there was alot of ANSI/Unicode letters in direct display for it to load, but now it's just plain text, sometimes alot sometimes barely any.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
For me, 7.03 is a definite improvement over 7.02 as far as refresh speeds... at least so far.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Okay, I will need to know a little more in order to try to reproduce this. If you install a clean copy of mIRC in an empty folder, can you describe a step by step method that reproduces this for you?

D
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
D
Just by joining several channels, I have roughly 17 or so, spanning a few networks (friends unable to all stick to one..) and then swap between the channels. I'm using the CTRL+TAB/CTRL+SHIFT+TAB shortcut to do it

Anyway I should apologize for failing to see what I was doing myself, and making you try to repeat my issue when it's most likely not mIRC being weird. I noticed the slowdown seems to only happen if I run certain games in window mode, they don't really slow anything else down tho and in older versions of mIRC I would occasionally get it if they were using AA, but a clean version of 6.35 works just fine while they are running.

Again, sorry for misinterpreting what was the cause and not properly providing the information.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for looking into it. mIRC v7.x uses a new bitmap caching method to speed up the scrolling/display of text in windows (it is almost ten times faster than v6.35, depending on your system), however if other applications are using bitmaps intensively that may result in a greater demand on similar resources. I have made a slight change to the caching method for the next version - let's see if that helps :-)

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
7.04 significantly improved mIRC's performance when used over RDP. I assume that's because of this change. Thanks!

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Did you change anything in 7.06? 7.05 was brilliant, but in 7.06, whenever I change channels, the text in the new channel window trembles/shivers/flickers for a moment (from top to bottom). Even the line between the text window and the input box shivers a little. This is still over RDP. Any idea? Thanks!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There were no changes in v7.06 that would have an effect on the display of text or on the display of the line between the text window and input box. Are you able to reproduce this change in behaviour reliably with both v7.05 and v7.06? Could it be related to RDP caching?

Link Copied to Clipboard