#221042 06/05/10 01:19 AM
T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
As topic says, CTRL+N now creates a new server window
I normally use CTRL+Q to scroll through PM's and CTRL+N for channel windows.

Also, shouldn't $beta == $true ? ;\

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: The_JD
As topic says, CTRL+N now creates a new server window
I normally use CTRL+Q to scroll through PM's and CTRL+N for channel windows.

Well CNTRL-Q is typically used to Quit an application... CNTRL-W is used to close a window... and CNTRL-N creates a new document or window.

Quote:
Also, shouldn't $beta == $true ? ;\

It does... try //echo -a $iif($beta,$true,$false)

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
We're talking about Windows, closing a program is alt + f4, closing a window or a tab is control + f4.
And he was thinking that the value of $beta was/should be $true, which is not the case, $beta has a value if the version is a beta, but the value isn't $true, your $iif just return $true if $beta is different from $null, $false and 0.

Edit : and indeed, /help Key combinations show what control+N do.

Last edited by Wims; 06/05/10 04:54 AM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
$beta == the beta version, not a boolean

I agree though, the Ctrl+N key combination seems to have been changed without notice. A lot of people rely (relied?) on that combination to cycle windows, so I'm not sure it should have been changed. I wonder if there is an alternate key combination or if it was removed completely. The latter case would be pretty bad.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks this will be changed back in the next version.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: Wims
We're talking about Windows, closing a program is alt + f4, closing a window or a tab is control + f4.

Yes, we are talking about Windows... where there are no "one way" keyboard shortcuts. But CNTRL-W for close window/tab and CNTRL-N is used for opening new windows is pretty standard in other apps even though ALT-F4 and CNTRL-F4 still work. And ALT-F4/CNTRL-F4 are just not widely known. I mean who uses the INSERT key to paste the days?

Quote:
And he was thinking that the value of $beta was/should be $true, which is not the case, $beta has a value if the version is a beta, but the value isn't $true, your $iif just return $true if $beta is different from $null, $false and 0.

If the statement resolves to $true, then it must not be $false. That is clear. That is what I demonstrated. The OP just did not know that if something doesn't not resolve to $null, $false or 0, it's considered to be $true. Now hopefully he does. And if he is a she, my apologies...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Alt-F4 is WIDELY known. You are correct, though, that Ctrl-F4 isn't as widely known. That said, Ctrl-W isn't as widely known either. They are standard, but so is Alt-F4/Ctrl-F4. Standard doesn't mean widely known or used. Just look at the number of people who don't know Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V/Ctrl-X, or even Ctrl-P/Ctrl-O/Ctrl-S. Those are very widely known and are definitely standards and yet many still don't know them.

And where does your INSERT comment come from? What's that have to do with the rest? In any case, there are times with INSERT is actually more useful for pasting depending on the app being used and what you're doing at the time. But, yes, it's not used much anymore.

As for the $beta thing you said... the OP wasn't asking how to get a $true/$false from it. The OP was saying that he thought the result of $beta in a beta would be $true rather than betaNN. The answer to the OP is that it is never $true and that it will always show the beta number if it's a beta. Obviously, you can convert betaNN to $true, but that's not what was asked. And I'm sure the OP knows that it's $true if it isn't false/0/null. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Regarding cycling channels, I love the use of CTRL[+SHIFT]+TAB, although it seems impossible to get to query or custom windows using this method. I kind of remember using CTRL+N to cycle channels but I would rather it not, as using tab and shift tab is more common and better for cycling (afaik it never used to work well and there wasn't a backwards cycle?)

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: Daveoh
Regarding cycling channels, I love the use of CTRL[+SHIFT]+TAB, although it seems impossible to get to query or custom windows using this method. I kind of remember using CTRL+N to cycle channels but I would rather it not, as using tab and shift tab is more common and better for cycling (afaik it never used to work well and there wasn't a backwards cycle?)

Ditto... CTRL[+SHIFT]+TAB to cycle thru every window is the obvious choice. I mean people don't want to remember that CNTRL-Q cycles just query windows in just mIRC... and CNTRL-N for channels, etc. Stick to the common interface guidelines...

For people who actually want to cycle using CNTRL-N/CNTRL-Q/ETC... include an option for legacy cycle shortcut keys.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD; 06/05/10 02:24 PM.

T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
CTRL+TAB is awesome, but as with other apps, you get used to key combinations.
I normally have many windows open, which may include channels, @windows and privmsgs.

When I have a PM, it's usually CTRL+Q then reply, then CTRL+F4.
When I'm just checking what's happening, I use CTRL+N.

This of course is just because it's what I've learnt to do in mIRC... old habits die hard.
Also, There may have been a shortcut for a new server tab before, but I press ALT+F, RIGHT ARROW, ENTER - which is now the same, minus the right arrow.

Anyway thanks Khaled.

P.S. Thanks for all the comments on $beta, I was just thinking it was $true... not betaXX.

P.P.S. He is a he.

Last edited by The_JD; 06/05/10 02:53 PM.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
My suggestion, rather than ALT-Q + ALT-F4, is enable the "Show Queries in active" option. This won't open a new window until you tell it too.

I use the single message window option. Which unfortunately isn't a query window, nor any other that mIRC recognizes. You can't close it with /close... nor echo to it specifically (or if you can I've forgotten how).

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
/help /dqwindow
/help /echo
:P

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: 5618
/help /dqwindow
/help /echo
:P

What about the editbox?

T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
I'm not a big fan of the single message window, I'm happy for mIRC to open a new one.

I did just have an idea though, which I think I'll end up writing.

A single message window with a list that when you click on the name, will clear and load previous logs of that user...
And of course, it will auto send to whoever is active in the list.

I don't know why I haven't thought of it before

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not a bad idea for a script and pretty easy to do. Just have to be careful who you're reply to. smile

I still prefer individual query windows, but that idea almost makes me to want to have it as well.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard