mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#213884 11/07/09 06:55 AM
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
It would be great if mIRC had more colors to choose from for things such as nick color, text color, color schemes, etc. Only having 15 to choose from can be a bit awkward. Would be nice to have varying shades of colors, tints, etc.

Thanks.

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
ALT + K then right click the colour palettes.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
What exactly is "awkward" about 16 (not 15) colours? Windows itself only has a palette of about 16 colours, and it never seemed awkward to me. Websites usually design for somewhere between 3-5 colours, but never much more than that. Certainly 16 sounds enough if you're going to make a sane looking theme.

That said, "more colours" has been suggested before, a few times in fact. The search feature in the forum can help you look at the discussions and possibly chime in on those, if you have something new to add. Until then, it's up to Khaled to take this on.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
The reason I would like more than the 16 colors is too support other peoples fonts and have more flexibility for graphic design.

Windows has a pallette of about 16 colors? Maybe win95. A basic windows color pallete using a 640x480 res is 256 colors. A full color palette using "true color" has the capacity for 16,777,216 different possible colors.

One website only uses a couple different colors so it doesnt look messy, but what you are suggesting would be analagous to ALL websites only allowing 16 colors which, of course, is ridiculous.

Bottom line, your opinion is appreciated argv0, but it is only your opinion. I personally would utilize a full color pallete if it were available. I'd like to be able to call colors by their rgb value and not be limited to 16 colors which requires an alias to convert the rgb value to the closest color available among my chosen 16, which is what I've had to do.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You're confusing "colorspace" with "palette". Windows has supported 16BIT and 32BIT colorspaces for a long time (ie. even Windows 95), but the standard system *palette* uses a small set of those colours. mIRC has the ability to render any colour, the only difference is you can only use 16 of them at a time in the text display.

It's one thing to say "you would use this" if it were available, it's another thing to say "you need this". As I said before in other threads regarding this topic, supporting more colours would be great. Calling the current system "awkward" is simply false, though.

In any case, the point of my original response was to point out that this has been suggested before, and the discussion has basically been hashed out to completion. Khaled knows about this, so be patient and let him decide whether to implement it.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Originally Posted By: argv0
It's one thing to say "you would use this" if it were available, it's another thing to say "you need this".

argv0, This is a feature request forum, not a forced butt-sex forum.
He's doing exactly what the forum was made for, requesting a feature.
He's not saying that he NEEDS it, but that he'd like it.
</rant>

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
What I would believe to make sense is to allow users to use custom color values (HEX/RGB) with the echo command with the -c switch
Code:
//echo -c $rgb(204,0,0) Hello World!

- Excalibur
- Good and Evil, there never is one without the other.
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
I'm sure this is a feature, but even if we could change the 16 colors, and not have the colors (that are already displayed) change, We could show a lot more colors (limit 16 per line).

Obviously if this was done, people would still complain that there's not enough colors for one line. lol

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
People will always have something to complain about :P

- Excalibur
- Good and Evil, there never is one without the other.
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
What I would believe to make sense is to allow users to use custom color values (HEX/RGB) with the echo command with the -c switch
Code:
//echo -c $rgb(204,0,0) Hello World!

now that would be really nice. :_)

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)
J
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
J
I believe the default 16 colors should stay untouched for cross clients support but... I agree that it would be really nice to support RGB for local echo. Maybe CTRL+K then #00000,ffffff for background and foreground colors ? or $rgb(0,0,0,255,255,255) urgh!

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
Yes, i'm with you. Local colouring this way would be fantastic, especially when making themes. But there would have to be some kind of colour palette in the mIRC editor, similar to when you are in the editbox and do ALT +K -> right click a palette -> define custom colours. Otherwise it'd be a nightmare flicking back and forth to get the RGB you needed.

Last edited by vexed2; 28/07/09 11:45 AM.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Hum, compatibility with the current coloring system would break for <ctrl-k>#<A>,<B>.
Atm this means "undo coloring" (return to default linke color) but keep e.g. bold/underline formatting. Example:
Code:
//echo 8 -a test $chr(31) $+ $chr(3) $+ 07test $chr(3) $+ #00000,fffff
The #-char also has a special use in IRC - to denote a channel as the target like in
Code:
/echo #mychan test
(#mychan might be a channel named #12275 or the like).

Now, a single rgb-digit would in theory work for local coloring via the echo command - if used together with the -c switch. Some switch is required anyway: to distinguish "color $rgb(12,0,0)" (= 12) from "color 12 of the mIRC default palette". This in turn implies some new switch for /aline and the like...
But then, would people be satisfied with the option to set rgb line colors? I think they instantly would request an option to rgb-color parts/words of the line as well. And as it mustn't come into conflict with the established parsing of in-line ctrl-k[N[,N]] it would in turn require e.g. a distinct, new "control code" char, to denote "rgb color digits follow". This char *could* be called by a shortcut like ctrl-k calls a $chr(3), and it *could* open a different rgb-color picler the way ctrl-k opens the default color picker.

@vexed2: As in any case you can use it only locally, that is in scripts most of all: One could e.g. create a "custom" palette for a script by assigning color numbers to catchy variables. Or create a custom identifier $mycol(color title) to return those numbers...

... just some thoughts smile

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
I know this thread is old. But, if more colours are added, I say keep the original 16 the same. And since we already have ctrl-k NN,NN, we could just have 99 different colours. Like, for example, 8, 24, 40, etc. are the same colour. Why not have 24, 40, and so on, to be differing colours?

I mentioned in another post to just add in a 6-bit RGB palette. 64 colours, perhaps starting at ctrl-K from 20 to 83.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
instead of adding more colors, add the option to set pallete colors after 15
ie:
Code:
/color 16-97 $rgb(rrr,ggg,bbb)

would set ctrl+k16 to the rrr,ggg,bbb color

I am SReject
My Stuff
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
That's one idea. But, wouldn't we need some sort of standard to emerge?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yeah. About the only way to get anything other than an increased number of LOCAL colors (i.e. /echo) is to get all IRC clients (or at least the main ones) to agree on adding the support at about the same time and to add the same colors as default. Even then, if you add more than 0-99, it will always fail on anyone using older clients (the next number would be visible in them). Even so, 100 colors should be plenty for most people and as long as the main clients all agree on a "standard" and update about the same time, it shouldn't break anything. I think most clients automatically change colors > 15 to a 0-15 color... even if it's just the default color.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
Quote:
About the only way to get anything other than an increased number of LOCAL colors

I'd appreciate just the local colors. Would help making themes and the such alot more versital(sp?)

I am SReject
My Stuff
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Urg... you people should probably understand the history of IRC and color. It's not pretty.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
I know about the history already. But, I still stick to what I said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard