mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Daveoh Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
* Error opening log file 'status.log'

I get this message whenever I open mIRC or press OK from the options dialog.

I installed it as a portable app in my Program Files (I remember it gave a warning in the installer, but what's wrong with installing it as portable in Program Files?)
Win7

W
Babel fish
Babel fish
W
By installing mIRC has portable, your intentions are that everything is stored in one folder (like on a USB drive) instead of multiple folders. As a result mIRC will make the ‘program files folder’ not only the folder for the exe but for the scripts/logs/popups as well. And since you need ‘Administrator permissions’ to read/write to anything in the program files folder, it causes problems.

This has nothing to do with mIRC and everything to do with windows 7 (and I believe windows Vista as well). mIRC does not has file read or write permission to files in the program files (and the program files x86) for security reasons, which is why by default everything gets saved to the Users folder.

Make sure that $mircdir points to "C:\Users\<Your Name>\AppData\Roaming\mIRC\" instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\"

If you insist on trying to run mIRC portable from program files, one way workaround (which I HIGHLY discourage) is to run mIRC.exe “As Administrator”, doing so will let mIRC read/write to anything it wishes. (By no means you should EVER do this because it lets mIRC read/write to anything...)

Last edited by Wiz126; 03/04/10 04:50 AM.
Daveoh Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
It seems you're right! I moved it to my AppData folder and it worked. Thanks smile

Link Copied to Clipboard