Print Thread
#219303 12/03/10 07:45 PM
L
ltwally Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
L
With the high migration/adoption rates of Windows 7, I think it'd be nice to see mIRC have better support for Windows 7 UI features...

Such as:

• Jumplist support for servers and channels.
  • Better transparency support. Several programs these days have a translucent/"glassy" background where text is fully opaque and has a white "glow" around it so that it stands out in the transparency. (Just look at the title-bar in Win7 / Vista for an example.)
  • Support for PNG's that have transparency. (Not necessary a Win7 feature, but something that would be nice.)
  • Ribbon menu/button support. Some people will complain, but with all the menus that mIRC has, I think replacing the old-style menus and buttons with the Ribbon would be a positive thing.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Jump lists have been suggested before and there's a small potential in mIRC for them, mainly only through scripts. Transparency support might be added at some point.

As far as ribbon support, you're right... people will complain. Myself included unless it's completely optional. You'll find a lot of people that hide the menu bar itself... people don't like a lot of vertical real estate taken up by programs. Ribbons take up a 4x or more vertical space as a menu bar does. If replacing button bars, it can be less depending on the number of bars you have, but mIRC really doesn't have many buttons or even very many menu options and only one button bar and one menu... you'd at lease double the height of it. No thanks. Also, ribbons aren't necessarily any easier to use. For the most common things, it can be useful because they are placed right in front of you. But for anything that's not commonly used, they get pushed back into "hidden" places that aren't as easy or quick to get to as a menu.

Buttons - About 15-20 (don't have it in front of me to count)
Menu items in default install - Maybe 20-30

That's not enough to really make a difference in adding ribbons. Just because ribbons are new and flashy doesn't mean they are better.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Ribbons are not a windows7 feature. They're only meant for situations where there are multiple groups of interactions with a program. mIRC does not have this kind of interaction, so they're really not meant to be applied here.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
B
B
I would like some transparency support like Windows 7 has. I also think if there will be a lot of visual changes in the next version, it would be worth to upgrade the version number to 7.0. It kinda feels like we've been sticking with 6.x forever by now. And it would also sound better... mIRC 7 for Windows 7. wink

Blizzard.NL.EU.synIRC.Net
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
I wouldn't mind this added, as long as it doesn't break backwards compatibility with older Windows releases. Many people still use XP, or sometimes even 2000.

On top of that I think it's kind of cool that even on win95 mIRC works, although I wouldn't be too bothered if that compatibilty dissapeared (which I suspect will happen eventually.).

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)

Link Copied to Clipboard