mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
I kinda need some help understanding flood protection. A network I frequenty atm is getting flooded a lot and I turned flood protection on with ignore set to on as well but it doesn't seem to be catching it. I was wondering if someone could help with getting the settings right.

My current settings are:
Trigger flood check after: 100 bytes
Max. Lines in buffer: 10
Max. Lines per person: 10
Ignore person for: 10 seconds

All the options below that are checked.

I got flooded with lines 86 characters long about 15 of them. If anyone could recommend some aggressive and moderate settings it'd be great. Thanks lots ^^

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
86 characters would be 86 bytes. Lower the check limit and it will likely solve your issue. Alternatively, you can try and determine any similarities betweeen flooders (similar nicks, hosts, types of spam, etc). If you can find similarities, you can use a scripted method that targets those flooders without affecting other people.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Hmm I set Flood control to show me when floods occur and it has shown me stuff like:

Quote:
[23:12] * Flood protection: 1 message(s) in queue

But I haven't seen it ignore someone yet? Is the ignore silenced (like putting a period before commands?) or does it trigger after more lines?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not really sure how it displays as I don't use flood protection. I'm usually only in channels that I have control of, so when someone is flooding, I set up a scripted solution to prevent them from doing so. Also, I use Invision, which has its own flood protection features if I wanted to use flood protection. Maybe someone else has more knowledge of how mIRC's flood protection works. I don't have it here to test with right now.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
It should be pointed out that the flood protection mIRC implements is to protect your outgoing messages, not incoming ones. This means mIRC will queue your ctcp replies, message replies, etc. - It will not ignore people for sending messages unless they are CTCP requests that mIRC replies to.

If you're simply trying to stop people from flooding a channel with text, you'll need a script for that. Realize that you can't get flooded off a server unless you have a script that replies to messages- simply reading server data will not cause excess flood.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard