proxy settings are set to server and socks5,

* Remote is off
-
* Connecting to irc.test.net (6667)
-
* Connect retry #1 irc.test.net (6667)
-
* Connect cancelled

As you can see, there are no connectfail or disconnect events (besides cancellation) being echoed. With proxy support set to None, everything magically works again.

Also note that I have correct proxy settings configured, however I'm unable to connect through the proxy. When I configure mIRC to incorrect settings, the connectfail / disconnect events echo.

Also, changing socks5 to socks4, or proxy, the events magically appear. Changing the host will also cause the events to work properly, however no matter what port I set on the current host while using socks4 the disconnect event does not echo.

Last edited by sirkit; 25/02/10 09:23 AM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Is your issue that ON CONNECTFAIL / ON DISCONNECT are not triggering? Or is it that mIRC does not echo the line? Those two issues are not exactly directly related. mIRC might still be triggering the event though it does not echo anything.

You haven't actually shown that the events don't trigger, since your remotes are off. Also there's a lot of contradictory information in this post, so I'm not able to reproduce it here and test any of this myself.

Can you list a specific set of steps you used to reproduce this issue reliably?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
My titlebar shows the 3 second delay in between connecting after it fails to connect, other than that, there is no notification of it not connecting. It is triggering, but it's not echoing the line.

Me having my remotes off simply shows it's not script related..the connectfail and disconnect events are going to happen with remotes off..just because the events aren't scripted means nothing.

What is contradictory in this post?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Well,

The title of this bug report describes the issue as related to the ON CONNECTFAIL and ON DISCONNECT events, but you are not showing this in your post. "ON CONNECTFAIL" and "ON DISCONNECT" are script related events, but your description is not script related. Is your issue with these events in a script, or is it simply that you do not see a line echo'd in your status? Again, these two are not related-- mIRC not echoing the "* Disconnected" line has nothing to do with whether or not the events mentioned in the title are functioning properly or not. I'm just trying to understand what you're reporting-- an aesthetic issue, or a script related one.

The contradictory information is as follows:
Quote:
Also note that I have correct proxy settings configured, however I'm unable to connect through the proxy. When I configure mIRC to incorrect settings, the connectfail / disconnect events echo.

Also, changing socks5 to socks4, or proxy, the events magically appear. Changing the host will also cause the events to work properly, however no matter what port I set on the current host while using socks4 the disconnect event does not echo.

You have "correct proxy settings", yet you are unable to connect through the proxy. This does not sound "correct" to me. How are you unable to connect if your settings are correct? I ask because this might be related to reproducing the issue, and possibly even the issue itself.

The second issue is that you say that when you change to socks4 the line starts to echo again. Then, in the next sentence you say "no matter what port I set... while using socks4 the disconnect event does not echo"-- is this a typo? Did you mean socks5?

Again, it would be far more helpful to describe the exact steps you took to reproduce this issue, including the exact proxy information (actual host and port info) you used.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
I never once said ON anything, or anything about a script besides the fact that I wasn't using any. Common sense would point out that it isn't script related (Especially since I showed me executing /remote off). The proxy settings are indeed correct, I've connected through the proxy on another IRC client. I never once "contradicted" anything besides my "socks4" typo. My proxy settings are indeed "correct".

Yes, saying socks4 doesn't echo was indeed a typo. My apologies for that, it was meant to be socks5.

Seeing as the port info doesn't matter, because it doesn't echo the events for any port used, here is "exactly" how I reproduced the bug.

My exact steps:

/remote off
/firewall -m4 on atom.ecitrix.net 2344
/server irc.test.net

Also, the proxy is binded to my IP, so it really wouldn't work for you.

Last edited by sirkit; 25/02/10 10:48 PM.
S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
1) I'm not talking about scripts. Lack of ON.

2) every other IRC client I use the same proxy settings on connects fine. The settings are correct.

3) It is an aesthetic issue, as I said it wasn't script related. Remotes are off.

4) I'm reporting that mIRC has a bug when it comes to echoing disconnect/connect fail events when they occur with the proxy settings set as shown. Which is what I've been saying all along.

Z
Zed Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
Z
Quote:
* Connect cancelled

As you can see, there are no connectfail or disconnect events (besides cancellation) being echoed. With proxy support set to None, everything magically works again.

This is because mirc times out before the actual connection to the proxy. And then cancels the connection (which is concordant to the displayed message).

S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
Actually, that was me canceling the connection. Nice try though. If it was timing out, it would have said * Disconnected (connection timed out)-or something to that nature.

Last edited by sirkit; 27/02/10 02:58 AM.
S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
argv0, as usual you have jumped to a conclusion and stuck to it.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Why do you keep replying to me? I haven't written anything regarding this issue in over 2 days.

There is no conclusion here. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue with the information you provided. The proxy is "bound" to your IP so it "won't work for me".. that's certainly not very helpful. If anything, it's completely inconclusive. If I can't test this, there's not much more I can add to this discussion.

Perhaps you can provide information that will work for the people trying to reproduce your bug report (hint: Khaled).

On a sidenote, I'm still confused about your description of your proxy "not working" while "configured correctly". Are you able to connect through the proxy you provided or not? Or is this only happening for invalid hostnames like "irc.test.net"?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
Well if you would take the time to actually "read" my posts, you'd see I said I could connect through the proxy on other IRC clients. It doesn't matter if the host I'm connecting to is invalid or not seeing as it's going to end up giving an error message (if working properly) either way..no matter what host it is it's not going to change the fact it's not echoing a error message. (So "no" it doesn't only happen to hosts that aren't pointing to an IRCd or do not resolve).

Like I said, very typical of you to jump to a conclusion and stick to it. When I figure out a secure way to reproduce the bug, I will..I'm not opening up my server to everyone who reads to openly connect to, sorry.

S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
btw I noticed your sig...does that mean "the meaning and interpretation are unknown; figure it out for yourself?"

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I did read your posts, actually. None of them ever mentioned your proxy working on another IRC client. The closest it got was a cryptic sentence "the proxy on another IRC client", which, besides the grammatical incorrectness can mean a whole host of things.

But you still didn't really answer the question: can you connect through that proxy on mIRC? When you use a valid server, does it properly connect to the server?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
How I was able to reproduce the bug:

Running dante server on my VPS I configured a proxy to a shell that gets auth'd against PAM. Connecting to that proxy without inputting a password end resulted in mIRC not echo'ing a disconnect message.

S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
2) every other IRC client I use the same proxy settings on connects fine. The settings are correct.

Of course I didn't say it worked on other IRC clients, you're totally right, you do "read" my posts.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Thank you, the "connecting to the proxy without a password" step that you left out is likely to be relevant information to reproducing the issue, I imagine.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
sirkit Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
S
My assumption is that the proxy isn't giving mIRC an error message.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks, there was a particular proxy error that mIRC was handling but not displaying. That is very likely the reason you are not seeing the event. This has been fixed for the next version.

Babel fish
Babel fish
I just don't understand why you guys insist on getting into heated discussions about something so simple. The only person with the hands-down answer has full access to the source code (ie: Khaled, guys), so there's no reason to flame each other.

-Zmodem

Link Copied to Clipboard