#218708 22/02/10 11:03 PM
F
Froberg Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
Right.

I've been using mIRC for >10 years, bought n' paid for and everything was fine n' dandy.

Now, all of a sudden, mIRC won't launch from the install directory, decides to create a dir in appdata\roaming, and remove all my information.

My mIRC is heavily customized, after these ten years, and has always worked in the past.
I was reluctant to upgrade to 6.3x because of this 'feature' of placing data in the most annoying of places.. (copy-pasting items out of this folder every time I format is tedious at best, if not highly annoying..)

At any rate, how do I force mIRC to read the script files from the directory containing the .exe instead of this BS?

I like the ability to move my mIRC dir when required, I frequently transfer it to my laptop when I'm on the go.

Several years of logs are nice to have wherever you are. ;-)

Hope someone can help me out here, ASAP! :-)

I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him.
F
Froberg Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
It works when I run as administrator, however that shouldn't be a permanent fix.

Any thoughts?

I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
The easiest way to do this, is to put a copy of the mirc.ini file in the same directory as the mirc.exe

When the mirc.exe starts up it look for the mirc.ini file in the directory where the exe is located.
If mirc.exe finds mirc.ini in that directory, then it uses that.
Otherwise it looks in the appdata\roaming directory.

The purpose of this change, as I understand it, is to maintain compatibility with the multi-user environment that Windows uses.

Additionally, note that using the Upgrade option in the mIRC installer will maintain the same settings and directories that you previously had.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
note: this behaviour is because of a new security feature in vista&win7. installing mIRC (or copying the directory) outside of the "Program Files" folder, and having the mirc.ini in the same directory as mirc.exe like you used to have, will solve this problem.

any program under "Program Files" can't write data directly to it's own folder (unless run as admin) but it gets written to the 'virtual store' instead which is a protected sandbox environment.

so simply make sure you have it somewhere else (like C:\mirc or even on another partition).

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Link Copied to Clipboard