Page 1 of 2 1 2
#216977 26/12/09 02:41 AM
D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Hey all I'm using mIRC 6.34 with NNScript 4.22, I was messing around with my color schemes and some settings, and when I tried to test highlighting my beeps wouldn't work.

I don't recall messing with any sound settings and I checked like dozens of forum threads in both these forums and the NNscript forums and haven't found any solution. Doing /beep didn't do anything, and I read somewhere that after like mIRC 5.something the Beep sound file was coded into the mIRC client anyways, so I'm really curious what the problem is.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
As far as I know, mIRC uses the default "ding.wav" in your windows theme unless you tell it differently in the mIRC configuration (I just changed the sound in my windows theme).

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
The sound is on in mirc option ?

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Yes all of the sound options are on and everything looks ok, which is the weird thing. Also, ding in the windows files works normally because whenever I do an invalid action like backspace when there is nothing written or w/e I can hear the normal beep.

Edit: just checked ding.wav and it said "Quit playing with your dingy" ...
Edit2: In case of any confusion, I was messing around with mIRC color settings not my Windows color settings.

Last edited by Deezmon; 26/12/09 09:55 PM.
D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Bump, hopefully someone has a solution to this issue?

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Deezmon,
In mIRC try ==> /vol -vu2 65535
Then retry ==> /beep 9 200

D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
That doesn't work either, I don't think that it is the volume that is messed up, I am thinking it is more along the lines of the client not finding the beep file or something similar to that, or I may be totally wrong.

For example, I did /sound alert.mp3 and it worked perfectly fine in my channel

Last edited by Deezmon; 01/01/10 09:53 PM.
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
[ALT]+o
check 'use internal beep'
[ok] to close
then retry /beep 9 200

If you choose 'use internal beep' mIRC use its own internal beep sound for events instead of the default windows sound.
There is no separate sound file for mIRC's beep.

D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Sorry that is what I meant,the internal beep button has been checked on before as well

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Make sure enable sounds is on
maybe try 'use pc speakers'

Typically on a desktop system
'use internal beep' would use
the little speaker in the front
of case that is powered off the
motherboard.. with such a setup
a sound card and external speakers
are not needed.. that was sorta
the whole point of /beep ..its
like old school... I'm on a laptop
now and I have mine on 'use internal
beep' but it still uses the regular
speakers.. when I select use pc speakers
it stops working.. I've been using /beep
for over ten years on several systems
and never had trouble with it.. matter
of fact its the only sound I ever use
in mIRC...

D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
It's the same for me, I have always used /beep and have never had any issues with it before. As I said it worked perfectly before, I was able to hear the beep whenever I was highlighted (which is the main reason for my irritation) but if someone has a copy of the old beep file from before it was added internally I could use that as a substitute, which would work just as well.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Afaik, there isn't a beep file (for mIRC). It will use either the PC Speaker or else the Windows default beep as CtrlAltDel mentioned. Perhaps you've changed your sound theme in Windows and don't have a default beep?

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
I do, because for example when I click backspace I hear a beep sound through my speakers, but I am certain that I did not touch anything Windows related before and after the beep stopped working.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
There is no default 'beep' for windows..
Wouldn't be windows sound setting related..
I've been using windows setting 'no sounds' for
years and /beep still works.. also my email
alert still makes a sound for new mail..

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Correct .. there is no default "beep.wav" for windows .. there IS however, a default "ding.wav" in EACH of the "themes" that come with windows. You not using it for windows has absolutely nothing to do with mIRC using it. The file is still there, regardless.

Deezmon: depending on your version of windows, (XP uses Properties, Win7 uses Personalize), Right click your desktop and select either properties or personalize (dunno what Vista uses, never used it), Go into Themes, and set the default "ding" to the sound you want to hear.

D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
I don't understand what relevance the default Windows ding has with my mIRC ding, as both of those were different anyways previous to the ding disappearing.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
what you're hearing when you backspace and there is no text is the error.wav .. NOT the ding.wav

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Deezmon
I agree with you.. /beep should work on a system with no sound files no sound card no sound drivers no codecs and no external speakers if the system has one of those little speakers connected to the motherboard as most desktops do.. the sound is actually on the motherboard in hardware probably just a simple astable multivibrator circuit same one used when the motherboard beeps out error codes.. in other words the /beep is just a signal to that circuit not some sound file built into mirc.exe.. yours not working could be a hardware issue.. have you been inside your box lately and maybe disconnected the little speaker from it's motherboard header?

D
Deezmon Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
I haven't touched anything inside my PC, and when looking through the device manager I checked to make sure the beep was actually running and it is. However, I am not able to reproduce any sounds from my motherboard strangely, so I'm pretty much out of ideas right now.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Well my best guess at this point is reinstall mirc and check options sounds and rerun those codes I posted before.. I didn't mention it before but the main volume/mute control and mirc volume/mute must BOTH be set to on (they have separate settings in windows volume control) ...if none of that works.. pardon the pun but sounds like a hardware issue.. I can't believe the little speaker died but that would be the only component you could fix reasonably.. I would find it hard to believe the beep circuit went bad and nothing else on the motherboard..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard