mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
I open the remote editor and choose File > New. I then get a blank file which mIRC names as script(#).ini.

I don't want it named script3.ini so I choose File > Save As and name it what I like. What happens then is mirc saves two files. So now I have 2 identical files in my directory, one the script3.ini and the new, correctly named file.

This creates a lot of clutter and pointless files.

It would be nice that when you choose to save a file as a different name it doesnt make two copies but just changes the file name to the new one.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I agree. I'd probably have about 50 files, rather than 300+ if this had been implemented earlier.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
When you choose "save as", it's because you want to save the file to another name (even directory) than what it is actually, and mIRC is doing this fine.
Now, I think you want to ask for a new item in the menu like "Rename" to rename a loaded file easily

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
....or.... mIRC simply dosn't save it by default as script1.ini

Like a text editor, it's untitled, until you close or save it (if you close it, it shall ask if you want to save it first), if you press Ok, it will popup the save as dialog box.

I'd prefer the above method, too smile

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
That's not the same, when you do File > new, it's not a file like in an editor, it's a loaded file mirc care about so it's already saved.
It could be "untitledN.mrc" but it won't solve your situation.
That's why I suggested a Rename item in the menu, or possibly mirc asking you for the name of the file when creating a new one but I prefer the Rename item.

D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
Wims, the issue is when you create a new file in mIRC script editor it automatically names it script#.ini. When you go to name the file it then creates a new file so now you have 2 files.

The issue isn't the lack of a rename option. The issue is the new file function shouldn't leave you with 2 files.

Now if you want to write a new topic about how you think there should be a rename file option, please do.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I think I get your point, but you don't listen mine.
But I've said something wrong previously so here is another explanation :
Quote:
I open the remote editor and choose File > New. I then get a blank file which mIRC names as script(#).ini.
I don't want it named script3.ini so I choose File > Save As and name it what I like. What happens then is mirc saves two files.
When creating a new file, mirc isn't saving the file on the disk in case you click cancel, so it's only saving the file when clicking Ok.
What you described is before mirc store his file, you're saving it under a name, this is the first file you're talking about.
After clicking ok, mIRC then store the file under the name he choose, here is the second.
If this is true then you are using "mIRC" incorrectly, if you don't want the second file, let mirc store his file first and rename this file.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
New doesn't leave you with two files.

In fact, no files are saved until you press OK, as Wims said. Also, the file has to have non-whitespace data in it. Pressing OK in an empty file will also not save it.

Until both conditions are met (file has data in it and you pressed ok), you can "save as" the new file to call it anything you like, and you won't get a duplicate copy.

If the file was already saved to disk (you previously pressed OK), you will end up with a duplicate. Nothing can be done about that but a separate rename option. Save as will not have that behaviour.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
DJ_Sol Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
D
I must have messed up double checking that. Ooops

You are correct argv0 which negates my whole concern. Thank you.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Perhaps making the Editing: <file> label editable would solve the problem. That way even if you accidentally save the file as scriptwhatever.ini, you can just edit the name.

E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
Now THAT is one good idea cool

- Excalibur
- Good and Evil, there never is one without the other.

Link Copied to Clipboard