mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Bo1981 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
Ive connected to irc plenty of times. but i just got a new verizon air card and for some reason it wont connect

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
How did you connect to IRC previously?
Are you able to connect to regular internet?
Have you confirmed that all of the drivers are the most up-to-date?

S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
I just got one yesterday. Internet works fine with it, but I CANNOT connect to IRC at all. Help!!!!

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you are using your own router, or know the person who's router you are connecting to, check the settings (or have them checked) to ensure that mIRC and IRC are permitted access.
If you don't know how to do this, try using PortForward.com

If you are not using your own router, then the person that is running the router may have IRC blocked, in which case there is nothing you can do save try a different wireless connection.

IRC uses different ports & protocols from the internet.

S
S
Oops, may have given the wrong impression. I got a USB wireless modem. Before that I was on dialup (can't get anything else here). So there is no router to go through.

B
Bo1981 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
Originally Posted By: soccer_ref
Oops, may have given the wrong impression. I got a USB wireless modem. Before that I was on dialup (can't get anything else here). So there is no router to go through.

exactly my problem.

S
S
Right....everything was working fine with mIRC right up until I started using the wireless modem. I've tried everything I can think of and still nothing.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
In both of your cases, there is a router involved.
A wireless router is what allows a wireless connection to the internet.
Apparently you do not have the routers yourselves, thus you are connecting using someone else's router.
Since you, fairly obviously, don't know who has the router that you are connecting to, there is no way for you to ask them to allow IRC access on their router.

Some companies provide locations where wireless connections can be made without needing a password. These locations are commonly known as hotspots.

The wireless modem that is being referred to, technically is not a modem, but an adapter.
The adapter sends the wireless signal to the wireless network that you connect to.
This signal is intercepted/received by a wireless router, which then sends the signal to a modem, and then to the internet.

S
S
Well, then, in my case, the router would be Verizon itself. But when I spoke to them, they didn't even know what or who IRC was.

Let me clarify....I am NOT on WiFi. I am on a wireless modem. It's the same as if I had dialed in using my cell phone rather than a landline.

Last edited by soccer_ref; 12/08/09 01:42 AM.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
In addition, the exact error/disconnect message you get in mIRC will help verify it's a routing issue at all.
For example - and only a blind guess - many "surf mobile" providers hand out to hundreds of customers the same public IP address. This may result in a "connection limit reached... closing link" (or the like) by your favourite IRC network.

S
S
No, I get the message:

Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

over and over and over again.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
It may be as simple as your provider blocking IRC. They typically would block the most common IRC ports, so you may be able to find an alternate port that your network offers for connections, but that your ISP hasn't thought to block. You should ask an IRCop on your network (by connecting from elsewhere) or send an email to the network admins to find out if there are alternate ports available.

-genius_at_work

S
S
Ok, stupid question, I'm sure, but...why would a provider as large as Verizon block IRC?? Surely they have a lot of subscribers who use IRC or other programs like it.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Many ISPs consider IRC to be a 'security risk'. Mainly due to the fact that it is frequently used to control botnets, and cause other mischief. They may also see it as a "file sharing" program due to the fact that 'warez' are often shared through IRC. That would be especially important (to them) because of the limited bandwidth of that sort of connection.

You may want to contact your ISP again and try to find someone who knows about IRC.

-genius_at_work

S
S
Ok, thanks...at least I'm beginning to understand what I need to ask.

S
S
Ok, I have spoken to so many tech people now that my head is spinning. I still can't connect to mIRC, but I can get to AccessIRC (server) through another IRC chat client, but it is very limited and I really HATE using it.

According to Verizon (my provider), they do not block any websites. It is up to the user (me) to make sure they have adequate virus protection, etc.

So, I'm back to square one. I downloaded the updated mIRC software hoping that that would help, but it didn't. When I try to connect to mIRC, I keep getting the message, " Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)."

Any thoughts???

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
You can test your connection by using Windows built-in telnet client. (If you have Vista or Win7, you will need to install that windows component from Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn windows features on or off.

1. Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
2. In the command window, type:

Code:

telnet irc.yournetwork.net 6667

Replace the network with your actual IRC network.

You should see something like this:

Code:

:irc.yournetwork.net NOTICE AUTH :*** Looking up your hostname...
:irc.yournetwork.net NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking ident...
:irc.yournetwork.net NOTICE AUTH :*** Checking for open socks server...
:irc.yournetwork.net NOTICE AUTH :*** Couldn't resolve your hostname; using your IP address instead
:irc.yournetwork.net NOTICE AUTH :*** No ident response; username prefixed with ~

If you don't see that, then something on your computer, or on your card, or in your ISP's settings is blocking IRC ports. Be sure to check on several servers on different networks.

-genius_at_work

Link Copied to Clipboard