mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
MeStinkBAD #214273 27/07/09 05:58 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
I have to say I 100% agree with you... I don't know if this arvg character just has no life or what... however if anyone's input on these forums is useless it's argv's... he has no concept as to why feature suggestion forums exist... he is not a supporter of the advancement of mIRC... all he does is slow progress down and discourage others from participating in the development process of mirc.

mIRC Scripting: So easy a caveman could do it.
Jundas #214274 27/07/09 06:05 PM
O
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
O
I don't care what anybody says, I like this argv0 character. He shows no mercy.

Scenario 1:
<Feature Requester> Hey I have a feature request, ________
<argv0> What? Ugh, you can script that.

Scenario 2:
<Feature Requester> Here's my suggestion ________
<argv0> What? Screw that. That's useless dude. I wouldn't use it.

OriginalTux #214275 27/07/09 06:09 PM
V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
^ faf.

OriginalTux #214285 27/07/09 11:31 PM
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Scenario 3:
bug report --> mIRC dosnt work correctly when _________ ___ _____
<Argv0> What? I don't even use that command, so you don't need to. oh, and of-course it dosn't need fixing.

Originally Posted By: vexed2
^ faf.
+1

Originally Posted By: MeStinkBAD
I am sick of hearing it. I assume lot's of others are too.
+1

I know of a few others that would +1 as well.

Last edited by The_JD; 27/07/09 11:37 PM.

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
The_JD #214286 27/07/09 11:38 PM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
lmao... there could literally be a whole thread made toward argv and his uselessness to the mIRC community...

PhireCoder #214288 28/07/09 12:28 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I'd hardly say I agree with argv0s conclusions or style all the time. We rather had - and will have - arguments here and there. (You'll be well aware of this if I you really read *all* the topics.)
But folks there's no reason to get personal, in any way. Some of the recent posts simply are past it.
Maybe argv0 takes an opinion for "universally valid" at times, maybe his posts appear (or are) rough at times. But there's *always* reasoning in them, and he dedicated plenty of hours to that voluntary support these very boards live on (again, every long-time user of these forums is well aware of this). He also can neither speed progress up nor "slow it down" (...none of us can).
Moreover, behold the absurdity that you're posting in this old thread because the OP of a similar feature suggestion recently added to it - after I asked him to join an existing thread to keep arguments about the feature suggestion together... *sigh*

Horstl #214289 28/07/09 12:58 AM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
Yeah... sorry for posting off topic... But I'm certainly not the first to do so... this faf has been discouraging certain mirc feature suggestions that do not pertain to his criteria of usefulness which imho makes him completely useless to these boards... and this DOES hinder the advancement of mIRC's development process because if the community feels discouraged to give feedback and suggestions to make mIRC better for all because of one's constant negative opinions and (considered to some) harassment... then people like me and the previous posters who agree have to speak up and say... Hey! This faf is ruining mine and other's desires to participate in this public forum created to make this program (mIRC) better... If you take a look at all of his posts as a whole, the only thing he seems to be dedicated to is to making mIRC suitable to his own personal needs and preferences...

PhireCoder #214290 28/07/09 01:12 AM
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
I have to agree with PhireCoder here, I hardly am the OP in Bug Reports/Feature Suggestions anymore because of argv0.
Admittedly, I do read daily, and I do post replies sometimes.

Perhaps we need a mediation board :p

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
PhireCoder #214291 28/07/09 01:16 AM
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I think you're wrong...
Past give us an idea of Khaled's mind and what sort of thing he will probably add or not, then argv0 is just realistic when he said this or this will probably not be added, he might be wrong, but I'm sure most of the time he is not.
Like Horstl said, he have his way to tell thing and it might be difficult to read/get his post/point but how could you say he "has been discouraging certain feature" ? People ask for something with arguments or not, he is free to reply by saying what he think about the suggestion, it's not his only post that will make a difference.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Wims #214292 28/07/09 01:28 AM
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
It's not the particular post about any given feature suggestion which I am saying hinders mIRC development... It is the fact that he runs people off (Discourages them from posting anything else) who initially might not have had the best idea... but could potentially have helped out alot in the further development of mIRC... unfortunately now because of his harsh and rude criticism we will never know what awesomeness mIRC would/could have been.

Edit: mIRC is still awesome I'm only saying that some people could have came up with some revolutionary ideas that we will never know of now.

Last edited by PhireCoder; 28/07/09 01:31 AM.

PhireCoder #214293 28/07/09 01:41 AM
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
The point is that I'm sure it's not his intention to runs people off etc, people who think it is are probably not understanding his point because of the way he explain it

Last edited by Wims; 28/07/09 01:48 AM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
PhireCoder #214294 28/07/09 02:08 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
(I assume this thread won't be back to topic soon, thus...)

You don't have to give reasons for why you like or dislike someone. But you don't have to like someone to respect him. And you shouldn't deny someone the befitting respect witout a very good reason... In other words: You don't have to share his opinion, and you don't have to like his person (or - as you don't know his person as a matter of fact - his style).
But you have to respect his person, his opinion, his mIRC/MSL knowledge and also the time devoted. Especially if you demand more respect from his side (e.g. regarding opposing opinions about a suggestion) it's not very consistent if you don't show the least yourself (as in parts of the posts above).

I don't deny the possibility that some of argv0s posts had had discouraging effects on others (though not "the community" as a whole). Yet he's not giving invalid arguments or the like. As stated, there's a lot of reasoning in his posts. Regarding the conclusions based on arguments for/against a feature suggestion: they're opinions - as valid as yours or mine, as Wims already pointed out.
I think the main issue is how some argument/opinion is communicated ("That's of no use because... This won't be added." vs. "I think the majority of users won't benefit from this suggestion because... I thus doubt it will be added").
Of course you can wish that this or that reply would be less "harsh". For my part, I do. But to me it's off the mark to say it "makes him completeley useless to these boards". And I think it wrongs him a lot to hold "the only thing he seems to be dedicated to is to making mIRC suitable to his own personal needs and preferences".

Last edited by Horstl; 28/07/09 02:11 AM.
Horstl #214297 28/07/09 05:33 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I'm actually enjoying this discussion a lot. I'm quite flattered that people think I wield that much influence over feature suggestions and bug reports. Thank you.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #214316 28/07/09 04:53 PM
O
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
O
grin

Keep doing what you do mate. cool

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard