mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Z
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Z
hi, i have spent the past day or so googleing on how to set my wireless adapter as the default device for mIRC but can not seem to find anything. i use both Ethernet and wireless but my wireless card is connected to a different network. i would like mIRC to only use the wireless network instead off the Ethernet. can someone please advise me how i can go about doing this?

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
So what you are saying is Windows connects to two seperate internet connections and handles them seperately?

How is this done?

Z
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Z
i am running vista 64x

my Ethernet cable is connected an ran from my router
my wireless network card connects to a separate wifi network

my Ethernet takes priority over my wifi

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
As far as I know you get one internet connection. The first one to connect. You don't have two seperate internet connections.

For instance, open a browser. How do you know which connection it is accessing the internet with?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You can set the "Bind sockets to IP" in the mIRC Options/Connect/Options Advanced dialog to the IP address of the network adapter you want to use. That might work.

D
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
D
Originally Posted By: Khaled
You can set the "Bind sockets to IP" in the mIRC Options/Connect/Options Advanced dialog to the IP address of the connection you want to use. That might work.

I have a somewhat related issue so thought I'd post in this thread.

I have a Dell M2010 laptop running Windows XP and utilize a Dell Mobile Broadband Modem ExpressCard via Verizon Wireless as my ISP. Note: Under profiles in my VW ISP connect settings, it obtains a RANDOM IP address automatically whenever it connects to the Internet. I do NOT use a router.

In May 2009 I was having issues connecting to irc.starchat.net using Pirch98 and created an exception in Windows XP's Windows Firewall, then set the settings under Advanced to ircchat, 127.0.0.1 and port 113, port 113, then disconnected from and reconnected to my ISP, Verizon Wireless Broadband. SUCCESS! I was running XP Service Pack 2 and Internet Explorer 7.

THEN my computer downloaded XP Service Pack 3 and Internet Explorer 8 in June. Since then, I have been unable to connect to StarChat - and I need to in order to access an online meeting there that I frequent.

I have been able to connect to IRC itself via separate sites (undernet, quakenet, etc.) but when I've tried /server irc.starchat.net it disconnects me then cannot connect to StarChat.

I downloaded the most recent version of mIRC and each time I try to connect to StarChat, I get the following:

Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

Connect retry #2 irc.starchat.net (6667) (dns pool)

Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

Connect retry #3 irc.starchat.net (6667) (dns pool)

etc.

As a potential fix, I did what Khaled suggested by connecting to starlink-irc and writing down the IP of the VW connection. I then put this under the Bind sockets to IP setting. Again, it connected to starlink-irc, but not to StarChat.net.

I think it's one of the following issues:

1. A mIRC setting(s) needs to be changed in the servers, options, local, identd, or firewall settings.

2. A profile needs to be set up on my VW account accessing a certain IP address when VW connects in order to access Starchat using mIRC.

3. There are new issues people are experiencing as a result of XP Service Pack 3, and I should uninstall Service Pack 3 if I want mIRC to connect.

FYI I've emailed StarChat tech support - they let me know they don't have a solution to my problem.

TYIA,

Dressy

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
Instead of using the round robin address try connecting to one of the servers instead.
/server coyote.tx.us.starchat.net

Happy mIRC user on Linux
D
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
D
Originally Posted By: Constantine
Instead of using the round robin address try connecting to one of the servers instead.
/server coyote.tx.us.starchat.net

Just tried this by typing the above from starlink-irc which connects me to IRC. It says:

* Disconnected.

* Connecting to coyote.tx.us.starchat.net (7000)

* Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

* Connect retry #1 to coyote.tx.us.starchat.net (6668)

* Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)

* Connect retry #2 to coyote.tx.us.starchat.net (6669) ...

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
Try the ip of coyote? if not here it is 72.20.15.208
If that works you may have a dns issue, if not then I am really out of ideas for now.
Good luck

Happy mIRC user on Linux
D
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
D
Originally Posted By: Constantine
Try the ip of coyote? if not here it is 72.20.15.208
If that works you may have a dns issue, if not then I am really out of ideas for now.
Good luck

No luck, programmed that into mIRC both under the address to connect to section and then into the Bind sockets to section and it still didn't work.

I'm stumped! TY for the suggestion though. Any other ideas?

Dressy

Link Copied to Clipboard