mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
Kol Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
As you all know, /amsg sends a message to all channels you are on on the specified server. However, there are some people who use this command quite excessively and it can become increasingly annoying. Yes, I am aware that they can simply be kickbanned/muted/forced to load a script that ensures that AMSGs don't reach the specific channel but having a default mIRC command that adds channels to an "exclude" list or something of the like would be quite convenient. Obviously it is scriptable, as are around 80% of the suggestions on this forum but it would be a feature that would be quite useful to have on a blank copy on mIRC seeing as common sense/intelligence (and thus the ability to load a script) is inversely proportional to annoying AMSG usage.

Summary:
Add a command or a switch like /amsg -h #CHAN (network) that would add #CHAN to an "exclude" list where when /amsg is called, the message won't reach the specified channels.

For consistency's sake, it would be best to add the same features to /ame, /qmsg, /qme, /omsg, /onotice and any other commands I have missed but /amsg (and perhaps /ame) are the only commands where the suggestion might be practical enough to implement.

Last edited by Kol; 08/06/09 02:01 PM.
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I second this suggestion. QuakeNet now has a special channel mode that stops amsgs (more accurately: multi-target messages) from being sent to the channel, but this is obviously a workaround for the real problem, which is that people overzealously use /amsg and /ame. Meanwhile, experience shows that there are many people who have absolutely no knowledge of scripts or scripting, who insist on using amsgs and - if you ask - who are often quite willing to stop spamming particular channels. At the moment, there is just no easy way to get them to do that; a single built-in command and/or a dialog would be great.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
But the question is... How do you foresee the configuration? A dialog box like the "Favorite Channels" box?

- Excalibur
- Good and Evil, there never is one without the other.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
While the switch makes sense, Do you think that having such an option is actually going to change the existing poorly written scripts or unknowledgable users? IMHO they'd either a) ignore you, b) fumble and fail to fix the command or c) listen by stopping the use of amsg altogether. I personally don't think the switch will do anything to curb the misuse of /amsg by people who clearly want everyone to see what they're saying.

That said, for people who *do* know what they're doing, having to ignore one or two channels is quite common and relatively annoying to have to script.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
K
Kol Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
Honestly, (ignoring how selfish/egotistical/condescending I'll sound) I couldn't care less about the person who is sending the AMSG and how the command would benefit them. This suggestion is merely asking for a way to shut those people up without them having to go through a complicated process that would need me to walk them through and thus wasting MY time. There's only so many ways you can go wrong when given a /command that you must type and press enter.

@ Excalibur: I was thinking something along the lines of how the /ignore list is maintained. I don't think dialogs would be necessary. Simple /command interface is all that would be needed.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
A easy command that you can do is /ignore nick . If people want to do a /amsg they should be allowed to, i believe many people aren't interested in many regular /msg that are sent to the channel, so should them to be filtered out? /amsg and /ame have been around for a long time, so why not just let it be as it is?

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
K
Kol Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
K
Quote:
A easy command that you can do is /ignore nick . If people want to do a /amsg they should be allowed to

Yes, if people want to do an /amsg, they should be allowed to, but if 120 people on a certain channel (let's assume it's a crowded help channel) DON'T want to see the AMSGs and the AMSGer has a genuine question to ask, should all 120 people ignore/kickban them or should the AMSGer simply be asked to call one /command?

Quote:
i believe many people aren't interested in many regular /msg that are sent to the channel, so should them to be filtered out?

Most AMSGs are usually filled with useless information like "[BRB] GOING TO THE BATHROOM" or "[AMSG] LOL NICK SAID 'PENIS'"... while normal /msgs to specific channels are generally relevant and can actually contribute to the current conversation. If people aren't interested in many 'regular /msgs', chances are they shouldn't be in that channel.

Quote:
/amsg and /ame have been around for a long time, so why not just let it be as it is?

If something is around for a long time, would it not imply that it is outdated/an update could do good for it? The suggestion wouldn't actually affect either commands and them being around for a while is not really a valid reason why this shouldn't be implemented D:

I realize this response may come off as somewhat aggressive... but to me it really sounds like you're just disagreeing for the hell of it.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I agree this would be a good addition. It could be a list like the op/voice/ignore/protect lists, but for channels rather than addresses. It should be multi-network too. Also, imo it should just be for /amsg & /ame.

Link Copied to Clipboard