mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
Don't know if this was suggested before, but i couldent find any in the search i did, i would like to be able to use icon's in nick list, yes i know it can be done with some dll files, how ever it would be nice if mirc could do it without a dll, and since you are the only one that see your nick list that wouldn't interfere with any other chat client that are on the channel, just an idea i have. smile I using nicklust.dll now.

Last edited by sparta; 18/02/09 10:29 PM.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
yeah that would be nice, Ive seen other applications do it.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I vote nay.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I'd just like to know why people are so afraid of dlls?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
An idea could be because a lot of people write whole script with dll, and usually, those dll are old dll and author do not keep them updated.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I've never seen an "entire script" written via dll. An unmaintained dll is just as bad as any unmaintained script anybody might use, so that's not exactly a reason.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
_
Babel fish
Babel fish
_
Scripts heavily dependent on a dll.. I've seen quite a few myself. aIRC rings a bell. Too many supporting functions become entirely processed via the DLL to the point the developers only write event hooks for the DLLs, minimal mScript. An awesome way in my opinion if done right.

But hardly a reason to disfavor DLLs -- if an update to Windows or mIRC breaks a dll, it's just as likely an update/change in mIRC would break more scripts than a single DLL.

S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
It would be nice to not have to use the dll files, as for the nick list it would be nice to be able to do it the same way was you can color the nick list with the usage of cline, and often when you find a virus/trojan in a script, then the virus/trojan will be found in a dll file and not in mirc it self. Yes i know it can be false positive but it scares the h*ll out of some users, and i don't say mirc should come with the ico files done, it's up to the user/scripter to make them or how they get them smile as an example the moo.dll is reported as false positive, now the moo script don't use a dll at all. and i have heard about many more files too, but cant remember the name of them now.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quite a while back I had dcx.dll be blocked by my anti-virus stating that it was a trojan. I confirmed that the version of DCX on my system matched the one being released, and checked with a few other anti-virus programs. The only one that reported it as being a trojan was Norton (which I've gotten rid of since then).

Norton seems to be notorious at reporting false positives.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

So what you're saying is, in the future, anything that can (should) be done via dll needs to be built-in because some DLLs are falsely detected as trojans? Well mIRC is sometimes falsely detected too, what's to be done about that? If things like this scares the hell out of some people, it's only because of their own ignorances.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You already have the functionality provided by a dll you mentioned. Is that specific DLL being marked as a virus by AV programs? If not, then this is not an issue. Given that the code is already there, I see no reason why you wouldn't take advantage of it.

I think what it comes down to is this:

Khaled implemented DLL support for it to be used. DLLs are a way for scripters to extend and implement the program without Khaled needing to waste resources on a problem that might not be a priority for mIRC. This sounds like exactly that situation. Somebody took advantage of this feature and you now have the functionality you need-- barring comments from the script author claiming the dll is unmaintainable and won't work with future updates, I see no reason why Khaled should re-implement code that already exists.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
replying to no one .. .. ..

Yes, he made it possible to use dll in mirc, but if we cant come with ideas if the answer should be that "it can be done with a dll or a script", then why bother come with ideas on new features at all? since most things asked for in here can be done with a dll or some other way, like be scripted and so on, and as i said before the nick list support /cline, then it wouldn't be that far away to make it possible to use icon's in a similar way.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I think the point was that if a dll already let you do something, there no need to have what it does in mirc.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
S
sparta Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
S
I know, but since most of the functions suggested here can be done with a script (or is already written) or with a dll, then why have a suggestion for new fetures? since they often get the same answer.. "it can be done with a dll" or "look for a addon that can do this" or "this code will do what you looking for". Then no new suggestions have to be made, bether post a request in the Scripts & Popups section and have someone write it for you? and i still believe many users/scripters would like to be able to change most things in mirc with some code instead of a dll file. and would be nice if it was a built in feature in mirc smile

Note:
I don't say just mine suggestion need to be implemented in mirc, but if you browse true this section you see that the answer often goes to (this can be done this or that way).

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Originally Posted By: argv0
You already have the functionality provided by a dll you mentioned. Is that specific DLL being marked as a virus by AV programs? If not, then this is not an issue. Given that the code is already there, I see no reason why you wouldn't take advantage of it.

I think what it comes down to is this:

Khaled implemented DLL support for it to be used. DLLs are a way for scripters to extend and implement the program without Khaled needing to waste resources on a problem that might not be a priority for mIRC. This sounds like exactly that situation. Somebody took advantage of this feature and you now have the functionality you need-- barring comments from the script author claiming the dll is unmaintainable and won't work with future updates, I see no reason why Khaled should re-implement code that already exists.

Whilst I agree that Khaled shouldn't add every feature under the sun, there are some things that simply would work better in mIRC.

Additional dialog controls are one such feature.

Let's say you were able to create a treeview directly in mIRC, it could be as simple as this:

Code:
dialog x {
  title xyz
  size -1 -1 300 300
  option dbu
  treeview 1, 0 0 300 300, haslines linesatroot hasbuttons
}

This is much more portable and easy to work with than different coding styles that you have to use when working with dlls. Somebody could simply copy/paste this into their script editor and open that dialog, rather than have to go and download the necessarily dll, and you wouldn't have to write a bunch of aliases to call the dll either.

I realise this example isn't 100% related to this post, but it's just one such example I feel would be better implemented in mIRC, even if the functionality is already in existing dlls.

Link Copied to Clipboard