mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
U
I always use a unique nick/alternate for every network. Is this possible in mIRC without installing a copy into multiple folders?

-unworthy

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Yes.

The method I use, is to store the information in a custom ini file, although there may (and probably are) other options.

An example from my ini file:
Quote:

[network1]
mnick = main nick
anick = alt nick
password = password

The I use the following script
Code:
on *:connect:{
  if $ini(connections.ini,$network) {
    .mnick $readini(connections.ini,n,$network,mnick)
    .anick $readini(connections.ini,n,$network,anick)
  }
}
on ^*:notice:*This nickname is registered and protected.*:*:{
  if ($nick == nickserv) {
    .msg nickserv $readini(connections.ini,n,$network,password)
  }
  haltdef
}
on *:disconnect:{
  if !$ini(connections.ini,$network) {
    .writeini -n connections.ini $network mnick $mnick
    .writeini -n connections.ini $network anick $anick
    .writeini -n connections.ini $network password $$?="Enter nickserv password for $network"
  }
}

Additionally the /server command will allow you to specify the main and alternate nicks using the -i switch

See /help /server for more details.

U
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
U
Perfect! Thank you so much, Russel!

Code:
.writeini -n connections.ini $network password $$?="Enter nickserv password for $network"

By the way, that line doesn't seem to be working, as I disconnected from several networks and it created mnick/anick, but never asked for password, nor did it create an entry in connections.ini.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Regretfully I'm at a loss to understand why that part didn't work, as I have been using that script for the past couple of years.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
How are you disconnecting from several network ? I've tried to use $? in a on disconnect event, and even when I disconnect from several network, it work, i've used :
Code:
on *:disconnect:echo -a $$?="test $network "

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
$$?="test $network "

This shows a message box and cannot be used in a script event. Best to just echo the window with normal text and identifiers. $nick . $network . $server . $me . $scid($cid).mnick

Also, right before you connect you can set nick. /nick newnick

Like,

server -n irc.server.net | nick <nickname> | server irc.server.net

This will open a new status window and crate a cid for the new connection but not connect to it. Then set nick and connect to server.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Tell me you have tested, before came here and say this...
It work perfectly fine, try it.
If you use //scid -at1 disconnect, it disconnect you from the first server connected, then waiting for the input request, then disconnect from the second server connect etc...
Also :

Originally Posted By: DJ_Sol
server -n irc.server.net | nick <nickname> | server irc.server.net

Originally Posted By: RusselB
Additionally the /server command will allow you to specify the main and alternate nicks using the -i switch
-m and -i could/should be used

U
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
U
Originally Posted By: Wims
How are you disconnecting from several network ? I've tried to use $? in a on disconnect event, and even when I disconnect from several network, it work, i've used :
Code:
on *:disconnect:echo -a $$?="test $network "

Using /quit or the disconnect button. Neither prompted.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
The problem is simple, what happen here is that $network" does not exists, mirc would said it if you have checked the "identifier warning option" in the mIRC script editor, but since there's a '.', it quiet the output and you don't see anything.
The question is why is there a dot since /writeini does not output a message that could be annoying (like /timer) ? I've seen so many script (whole script or not) do this on several command, always wondering why they wanted to hide errors...

U
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
U
The problem is simple, what happen here is that $network" does not exists,

Ah, yes. So, mirc sees the ." as part of the variable name. I added a space and it works exactly as expected. That's definitely a bug, as mirc should know the ." isn't part of the name, once it finds that the character after the . isn't alphanumeric. Instead, mirc thinks it's looking for the " property of the $network variable!

Thanks to Wims, and everyone, for the help.

U
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
U
Regretfully I'm at a loss to understand why that part didn't work, as I have been using that script for the past couple of years.

Sure, but when was the last time you disconnected from a network that you'd never visited, or that wasn't already present in connections.ini? wink I'm thinking that doesn't happen very often. laugh

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
There's no bug.
The dot '.' is used to quiet output, this mean that nothing will be print out.
If for example you do //timer 1 1 noop, it will echo in you window :
Quote:
* Timer 1 activated
* Timer 1 halted
If now you do //.timer 1 1 noop, you won't see this message.
In the situation above, mirc parse $network" as an identifier and simply, either tell you that it does not exists if you have enabled the option "identifier warning" (as an error message), either it return the $null value.In both case, mirc will stop because it's either an error and mirc stop, either the double $ make mirc stop because he his seeing $$?="... (this return $null too).This is why RusselB never see any error, not because he doesn't use his feature often.

Last edited by Wims; 11/02/09 03:50 AM.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
You'd be right that it's been a while.. probably a year minimum.

U
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
U
There's no bug.
The dot '.' is used to quiet output, this mean that nothing will be print out.
If for example you do //timer 1 1 noop, it will echo in you window

I think you've misunderstood what I wrote. I realize that the '.' in front of writeini silences the output, however, that isn't the problem to which I'm referring. The '.' at the very end of the line is the problem.

By adding a space after the 2nd $network, and before the '.' at the very end, the line works exactly as expected, because $network is defined, but $network[size:14pt].
isn't defined. (Notice the trailing period?)

That's the bug, (in my opinion), because mirc shouldn't see the '.' as being part of the variable name unless an alphanumeric character follows it.[/size]

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
This is not a bug, but, imo, expected behaviour.

It is possible to set up an alias called network. and call it as an identifier (see /help $isid)

In the code I provided $network exists but $network. does not
(ie: there is no trailing period with the $network identifier anywhere in the code I provided).

If you alter a working code and it stops working, then the problem is with the alteration of the code, not with mIRC.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Yeah, teh identifier is $network, not $network. The bug is yours. smile Typo's are my bane!

$?*!="message"

Note: This identifier cannot be used in a script event.

So why does it work in the disconnect event then?

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I was beleived this note was for $input but indeed, don't know why.

Last edited by Wims; 11/02/09 01:54 PM.

U
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
U
This is not a bug, but, imo, expected behaviour.

It is possible to set up an alias called network. and call it as an identifier (see /help $isid)

Alright, let's call it a feature. It is possible, but that doesn't give it an established purpose or make it especially useful. On the other hand, the purpose of a leading period in an identifier is well established. (e.g. echo -q) Of course, I may have forgotten, or missed, something in the docs, so don't hesitate to correct any mistake on my part.

Quote:
In the code I provided $network exists but $network. does not
(ie: there is no trailing period with the $network identifier anywhere in the code I provided).

Hm, nor is there one in my reply. I must be suffering from some form of dementia or senility in my old age crazy, because I don't remember making alterations. blush In fact, that must have been the only alteration, because the rest of the script matches verbatim. shocked

Quote:
If you alter a working code and it stops working, then the problem is with the alteration of the code, not with mIRC.

I couldn't agree more, except for the last three words. The usefulness of a trailing period in an identifier is somewhat debatable, imo.

In any case, thanks again for sharing the wonderful script! Huzzah!

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Many times Ive hit a ket without knowing while the script editor was open. Lol, or start typing somewhere else but the cursor was in the remote editor?? I can't be alone on this.

U
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
U
I'd like to alter this script to update the e-mail address, as well, however, the connect event doesn't occur until after the connection is already made, and thus, uses the previous emailaddr setting. What's the best method of scripting an update to the setting just prior to connection?

The I use the following script
Code:
on *:connect:{
  if $ini(connections.ini,$network) {
    .mnick $readini(connections.ini,n,$network,mnick)
    .anick $readini(connections.ini,n,$network,anick)
  }
}
on ^*:notice:*This nickname is registered and protected.*:*:{
  if ($nick == nickserv) {
    .msg nickserv $readini(connections.ini,n,$network,password)
  }
  haltdef
}
on *:disconnect:{
  if !$ini(connections.ini,$network) {
    .writeini -n connections.ini $network mnick $mnick
    .writeini -n connections.ini $network anick $anick
  }
}

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard