#20833 25/04/03 01:37 PM
G
ghoniba Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
G
Hi Gang

I recently got a high speed connection at home. With no warning to me MIRC somehow got installed on my computer, never did see anything that asked me if I wanted it or not. Every time my computer boots up now I see the MIRC author's face and the MIRC dialog boxes.

No offence to anyone here, but I do not want this program on my computer. I tried to uninstall the program in the Control Panel and the Control just 'hangs' there and does not uninstall anything. MIRC is there again the next time I boot up.

I tried a search on my drive for this program and I can't find it.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me how to delete MIRC from my computer?

Thank you, Glenn

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
No offense taken, however the problem is not with mIRC. The "real" mIRC must be downloaded and intentionally installed, and can be easily uninstalled thru windows. I'm afraid you have somehow gotten one of the many trojans that regretfully drop an old version of mIRC as part of their payload. Please understand that we are in no way affiliated with the creators of those trojans. Uninstall wont work in this case, you have to remove the trojan. Altho some virus scanners will clean a lot, it may be that you will also have to remove some files yourself, depending on what trojan is involved.

I would suggest using the free online scanner at this web page as it catches some IRC type trojans others may miss. Make a note of what is found, and that site can also give you further info in case you do need to take further action beyond what they can remove. I wouldnt want to guess which virus/trojan is involved, Trojan.IrcBounce, WORM_HORSMAN.A, gbot types are among the common ones. You can find some additional resources at this web page and at our web page Using our search feature, setting it to all forums, all dates will show you many other threads with the same prob.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
G
ghoniba Offline OP
OP Offline
G
ParaBrat

Thank you very much for the reply. I think you are right about the Trojan Horse, I seem to be having a few problems now. I may have to format my drive.

Thanks again, Glenn

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
In addition to what Parabrat suggested, you might try running a dedicated Trojan Remover.

G
ghoniba Offline OP
OP Offline
G
ParaBrat

Just thought of something else.

I realize that this is not related to this site, but may I ask you what you might suggest as a firewall or virus program for my PC that you have found works well?

Glenn

G
ghoniba Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Nimue

Thank you very much, I have downloaded it and I'll give it a go.

Glenn

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
If you're looking for a free downloadable firewall, you can't get much better than the one found here. An excellent free virus scanner can be found here. Both of these programs have been very well reviewed. smile

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
G
ghoniba Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks very much Poppy, much appreciated.

Glenn

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
You're welcome. smile

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I agree with Poppy, i've been using zonealarm for years. There isnt one perfect solution/protection tho. With the risks (from emails, wandering the web, downloading etc) it pays to be overly cautious and take advantage of the many resources available. That includes keeping up with windows updates and any security related updates from other software.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard