Print Thread
#206938 29/11/08 01:10 PM
S
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
S
Hi all,
hopefully someone could help me,ive been useing mirc for a while now,but ive run into another problem which is why i changed isp,
im in the uk & i used to be with bt until they blocked the mirc ports,(i did try to forward the ports but still no change)so i changed to another well known isp & i think they have done it again,as ive tried connecting on 4 different computers & i still can not connect,just keeps saying unable to connect,now i know for sure it is nothing to do with firewalls as ive turned them all off turned services of in vista, i have tried on windowss 98,win xp pro & vista ultimate ive even changed my router,etc now i know i was a heavy user but this is stupid,a couple of my mates also have the same problem (they are also heavy users etc) & they are with the same ip.
all other things seem to work on the internet side uploading to ftp, downloading etc?, one of my mates reckons that he has heard though another friend who knows someone who works for this company that they are not just restricing heavy users but are also blocking certain ports etc for certain programs etc (like limewire,torrent etc) so i was wondering if anyone else has had or having the same sort of problem. thanks
---slademan----

slademan #206942 29/11/08 05:21 PM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
The IRC networks you connect to may have non-standard ports available for you to connect to. If your ISP blocked IRC ports, they most likely blocked 6660-6670, and didn't block any non-standard ports that your IRC network may offer. Finding out what those ports are may be a problem, but if your IRC network has a website, that would be a good place to start.

* Warning: bypassing your ISPs restrictions may result in your internet being disconnected for breaking the User Agreement that you acknowledged when you signed up.

-genius_at_work

slademan #206943 29/11/08 05:38 PM
C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
Quote:
im in the uk & i used to be with bt until they blocked the mirc ports,(i did try to forward the ports but still no change)so i changed to another well known isp & i think they have done it again,as ive tried connecting on 4 different computers & i still can not connect,just keeps saying unable to connect

I really don't know where you got this from. Anyhow sounds like a router issue to me. Check your settings!!
Oh and pray enlighten us other BT internet users where you got that statement from.
Thx and good luck

Happy mIRC user on Linux
Constantine #207056 03/12/08 12:49 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
well for a start this thread showed how BT were at the time blocking certain ports on certain IP ranges.

I've had no recent connectivity issues via BT however.

btk

billythekid
billythekid #207058 03/12/08 04:48 PM
C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
Yup back in 2006, I never had the problem but I understand your point. However the OP cannot connect, and has the same problem using a different ISP, so I doubt BT has anything to do with this.
If the OP has a BT home hub router then I really would start looking there, followed by OS firewalls and anti virus/spyware applications.

Happy mIRC user on Linux
Constantine #207063 03/12/08 11:49 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Yeah I agree was just pointing out that BT have previous ;oP

billythekid

Link Copied to Clipboard