Print Thread
#206989 30/11/08 07:03 PM
F
FDSA Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
F
Using the "Show Numbers" command with Vista voice recognition produces unusable behavior:

If I minimize every window except that I'm working in:

If I don't minimize any windows:

In neither case can I select the channel buttons I've placed on the right side.

While I don't particularly expect this to be addressed, I figured I would report it anyways.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I can confirm this behaviour, but I'm guessing Vista is selecting all MDI child windows in the application, so unless there's a way for mIRC to tell Windows not to do that, it would be a bug in the speech recognition software, not mIRC... and in that case it would be one that could not be easily addressed.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for the bug report - the mIRC MDI display involves some complex coding, so that could be confusing the Vista voice recognition feature. Alternatively, it could be that the feature itself isn't taking account of MDI windows correctly.. Microsoft has generally preferred that applications move away from MDI to SDI and it may be that MDI is not being supported as fully in newer versions of Windows. I would actually love to make mIRC an SDI-only application but generally find MDI a little too useful :-) I'll look into this Vista-related issue for the next version.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I second the love for SDI only! You could still offer tile functionalities by allowing the main panel to be split into multiple cells.

Much like how in Visual Studio you can drag a file by it its tab to create a vertical split view but then also allow them to horizontally split.

This would be even better since they are docked and stick in place.

$maybe
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
But you can't cascade windows or assymetrically resize child windows... that seriously changes how custom windows would work, since if they were not shown on the desktop they would *have* to be sized to fit the exact cell size of the user's grid layout, making the borderless/non-resizable @windows impossible to use. Of course this applies to resizing of regular windows as well.

I know you specifically do a lot of custom window work, so I'm surprised you would find this beneficial.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
This is very true, no thing in life comes without trade-off's.

Forcing picwins on to the desktop if they want a custom size is a trade-off i personally could live with. Then again i never felt a need for different size #channels/?queries either thats not too say others havent though. So im a bit biased towards an SDI interface and thus only see the benefits of switching.

I honestly dont see the need for cascading windows when you can already switch easily with ctrl+N, toolbar, treebar. Tiling on the other hand i do get for which grids could work in an SDI.

Quote:
I know you specifically do a lot of custom window work,

I'm flattered and i have in the past but i think you may mistake me with Foshizzle (also has an emoticon as avatar) who is currently more active with picwins especially on this board.

$maybe

Link Copied to Clipboard