mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Deevee Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
D
Im trying to connect to a server that i know exists and right, but every time i try it says "Unable to connect to server (connection refused)". I am trying to log on with my laptop at college.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It could be that the college network is blocking IRC access, in which case your legal alternatives are:
1) Talk to the IT department and enquire if they are blocking IRC access, and if so, ask them how you can access IRC without breaching the terms of your usage of the college's computer network.
Note: just because you're using your laptop does not mean that you are not using the college's computer network and/or internet access points.

2) Find a location that is far enough away from the college's network that you are able to connect.

If the IT department states that they are not blocking IRC access, then it could simply be a matter of the server having too many people trying to connect at the same time, and you happen to be one of the people that got the refusal message.
I have seen this happen even with DSL and cable connections, and has nothing to do with the fact that you're at college.

C
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
C
you could always try connecting through a different Server ( connecting to the I.P instead of the Server network domain name works too )

Link Copied to Clipboard