mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
I am dying for mIRC to finally become available for Linux users like me. When I had Windows XP, I loved using mIRC 6.31 until XP screwed up and finally died. Due to the fact I was unable to fix XP because my dad lost his XP CD when he gave me this PC. I had to either fork over 100 bucks for a new XP CD or switch to Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron version which is free. I chose Ubuntu. I can run mIRC on the Wine Windows-emulating program but mIRC doesn't run perfectly as good as it does on XP. And my bot needs work to get it to work properly but I cannot go into Script Editor and edit my scripts there because there is a yellow-shaded line number indicator that completely covers a portion of my script code therefore making the task of fixing my bot impossible to do.

I really wish you would hurry up and make mIRC available to Linux users like me. It really would make me so happy because I would finally get to fix my bot. Kaled and your mIRC development team, please please make mIRC available for Linux. If you can't do it yourselves, then at least ask around for Linux programmers who could write mIRC code in Linux code for you.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
This has been discussed so many times it's ridiculous. Khaled has stated that there are no plans to port mIRC to Linux. Many Linux users have found that, for the most part, mIRC works just fine under WINE.

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
hmmmm I wonder why you have script editor issues? I myself use Fedora 7, Fedora 8 and CentOS 5.2 and I have no problems running mirc or using its scripts editor. Check to make sure your graphics libs are updated and you are using the correct drivers. hmmm thought ....I wonder if its the KDE GUI ? Thats native to Ubuntu isnt it?
Anyhow this is a mirc forum not a *nix forum so good luck

Happy mIRC user on Linux
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
The line number issue has been brought up many times, and there are posts in the Bug Reports and Feature Suggestions sections of this forum. Some Linux distro's/WINE have problems with the line numbers in the scripts editor, however, this should not affect the working of the script.

Like Constantine, I have no problems running mIRC or using the script editor under WINE. The Linux distro that I use is Xandros, and it is nice to see that there are other distro's that don't have this problem.

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
I felt I had to add these 2 things too lol, I use an older version of mirc (6.21 I think) I wonder if this has any issue for you. And for those wondering about mirc on MAC's? yes crossover does the trick very nicely. Bad thing is that it only works on Intel powered Macs and crossover isnt free.
Maybe the moderators could make a sticky about such things?

Happy mIRC user on Linux
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
yes there is you are right, however more and more people are turning to open source operating systems, as they become more user friendly and the gui improved. Also as mirc is the number 1 chat client is it wrong to not keep people informed of the alternatives to windows?
just my coupla cents

Happy mIRC user on Linux
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
well, but the sticky IS keeping people informed, the answer hasnt changed. Im sure IF if does, we'll know about it somehow. Until then, consider the sticky the most up to date information.

Simply put, keep your eyes and ears open and see what happens in the future smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

But it can't hurt for everyone that wants it to let him know that they want it. It could sway him, you never know. I would love to see it happen and would be perfectly willing to pay for the registration all over again for it to happen.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
I agree, keeping it fresh in the minds CAN be a good thing, but also keep in mind, this one subject has been postsed countless hundreds, if not thousands of times (going back a few board versions too) and the answer hasnt changed. I guess the big feeling is being harrassed will not make it happen faster and MAYBE (I cant confirm or deny this cause *I* dont feel that way) harrassing people by mentioning it what seems like every few months will just piss people off. This isnt any kind of accusation, but this ONE feature has been mentioned soo many times, I would imagine that IF he was going to do it, he at least would have mentioned he's looking into it as he has SOMETIMES done with this feature or that.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Let me just interject that while porting may help the few linux users, it takes away potential useful feature-sets from Windows users by not using potential windows-only features (Vista has a couple that mIRC can start taking advantage of-- the new sound stack for instance). I'd personally rather see mIRC start being even more specific to Windows for such future features.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I am running mIRC under wine with no troubles on kubuntu hardy.

The script editor bug(which also occasionally crashes wine in my experience, as well as having the annoying line numbers) can be worked around by making sure mirc monitors changes (alt-R/options/monitor)

then just use your favourite text editor to edit and save, clicking yes to each reload.

so far this has been adequate for me to ignore the script editor dialog.

Some things obviously needs scripted differently, file paths for example and the run command should hold the .exe being run in the mirc folder, but on the whole everythign seems to be working.

I have socket connections, ftp things, dccs and the lot all working fine.

I was going to buy a seperate windows box just for running the mirc bot but no need, i can even run that instance of mirc alongside my main one in wine. It takes a little bit of setting up but hell, that's to be expected with a new OS setup.

mIRC kicks ass, even in linux.

btk

billythekid
P
Babel fish
Babel fish
P
Just by the way...
Has anyone already managed to run mIRC on a linux server without graphical interface? (Xorg)

D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
the reason why mIRC wont ever be available for linux is because khaled would look bad charging for it as linux and software made for linux is generally free and open source. Hence... since there is no money in it it will NEVER happen.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I don't see anything wrong with taking money for linux software at all. I would pay for linux if I had to. Windows XP is great, but I hate Microsoft because of the way they constantly make me jump through hoops to prove that I legally own my copy(ies) of their operating system. It pisses me off and I would love to be rid of them forever but unfortunately, any software worth a runny shit is written for windows.

~ Edit ~
And please, if somebody mentions FireFox I'll go insane and hang myself from my ceiling fan. It's a big bloated piece of garbage now too.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

MTec007: Delete your post because you suddenly realized you sounded like an idiot? Yeah I thought so too.

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
Rubbish, ever heard of cPanel or Plesk control panels for linux? no? google for them then tell me how much they are. Just because the operating system is free (open source) it doesnt mean applications are free. Besides Wine is much much better than it used to be, so there is no real reason to port it over to *nix

Happy mIRC user on Linux
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You can't exactly compare cpanel/plesk to an irc client though because a) cpanel/plesk is a b2b (business to business) business model which is generally the most common way software is sold for the linux environment; cost is not passed to the consumer, it's exchanged with a corporate entity where there is an expectation of profit to recoup the cost of the software, so it's more acceptable to charge in that case.. and b) there are a plethora of free irc clients on linux and no pay-to-use ones (that I know of) which would make mIRC stick out like a greedy sore thumb. He actually has a very good point. The amount of registrations that Khaled would get from Linux users would likely be low enough not to be cost-effective. Of course, that's not a reason not to port an app since there could be popularity benefits, but again, the popularity is likely to be stunted heavily by the shareware aspect. Why use mIRC when another UI app like XChat is free? It might not be as powerful but it's surely good enough for IRC. And I'm sure some XChat power-users would say XChat is more powerful than mIRC, just like irssi users. It's a pretty saturated market, and there's really very little gain besides appeasing the 10 or 12 ex-Windows users with dual-boot linux machines that are already used to mIRC.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
All I would ask for, is an option to remove the line numbers... That's close enough to a port to keep me happy... I'm using ubuntu

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

It's been requested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard