mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Ebbit Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
A few months ago, I switched from my old desktop computer to a new HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop running Vista Home Premium. After the switch, I began experiencing a strange problem while on IRC. Mysterious boxes, such as the two shown in this image, began appearing at the beginning of some of my messages, seemingly at random. I have not been able to identify any pattern to the appearance of these boxes.

To complicate matters, the boxes are invisible to me. The screenshot shown above was taken by a friend. To me, the boxes simply do not appear. The only time I am aware of them is when a box prefaces a /me command, turning it into plain text. Even then, the box remains invisible to me. In this image, the presence of an invisible box allowed me to enter "/looking" since it was treated as text instead of an unrecognized command.

If I retype a message that had the box, then the box does not appear. If, however, I enter that same message in again (such as by pressing the up arrow key), the box does appear. The box cannot be copied and pasted. Again, efforts to identify a certain key press or pattern behind the boxes have failed.

I'm using mIRC v.6.31. Any ideas what could be causing this bizarre phenomenon?

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Type this command, and see if the box keeps occurring:

/remote off

If that solves the problem, then you have a script loaded that has a onINPUT event within it. That event is adding your mystery character. Your friend should be able to copy that character by selecting at least one other character at the same time. For example, in your image, he should copy []H and then paste that into this command:

//echo -a $asc([]H)

and then delete only the extra character

//echo -a $asc([])

Note: that box may not show up visibly in your edit box, but it should still be there.

-genius_at_work

Ebbit Offline OP
OP Offline
/remote off turned off Remote, but I'm still getting the box.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Have you tried upgrading to mIRC 6.33 ?

Also, within any mIRC window enter this command and post the results here. (Both before and after, if you are upgrading to 6.33)

//echo -a $md5($mircexe,2) $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

-genius_at_work

Ebbit Offline OP
OP Offline
I've upgraded to v.6.33. The results of the (arcane) command are as follows:

Before upgrade: e72425de3cb77a4ddff9289f728017b4 11 0 0

After upgrade: 6d3d6f860ea36fb537e68306185b8c4d 11 0 0

Thank you for your help. It might be possible to solve this mystery after all.

Ebbit Offline OP
OP Offline
It's been a week without any sign of the box. I still have no idea what caused it, but upgrading to a newer version seems to have fixed it.

Link Copied to Clipboard