Print Thread
#202375 20/07/08 09:35 PM
T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
1. Not sure if this is intended behaviour... but it dosnt seem to work with 'window -e @window' - Removed... Use switch '-e2'. (Allthough I would personally prefer to use the setting in options, Maybe ill $read mirc.ini.)

2. (Feature request): can we have SHIFT + enter do the same thing as CTRL+Enter - I use shift + enter on most apps (ie, Windows Live Messenger)

3. Losing text - If more than half the window is used as editbox text, you can't read the first line(s)... can we either a) not allow more charachters (to prevent the loss) or b) add scrollbars?

4. Last thing:
//editbox -a /echo -a hi 1 $+ $crlf $+ /echo -a hi 1

I would expect the editbox to show 2 lines (both with echo commands), Instead, the first line is executed and the second line dissapears into thin air!

5. See post by maroon below

Last edited by The_JD; 20/07/08 10:37 PM.

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
1. The -e switch now has an N parameter to set what kind of editbox to use. See /help /window for details.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Thanks, I missed that!
I'll remove #1

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Another problem to add to the automatic editbox size. If you had typed a line in a channel that was long enough to trigger the editbox jumping to 2 lines, if you try to use the up-arrow to scroll thru your history, you get stuck at that point, and can't scroll to an earlier/later history line without highlighting enough of the line to bring it back to a single line, and then hitting DELETE to get rid of it.

The brand new install of mirc 6.33 defaults to automatic editboxes, so this will throw some folks for a loop. Is there a keystroke that's supposed to let you scroll past a line that's been automatically expanded to 2 lines without altering it?

T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Confirmed.

That seems like a bug, allthough holding CTRL when pressing up/down will work around it... I think it would be better if you could up/down it, like you were holding CTRL in that case, and you can move to different lines of text with Left/Right (like before) and click.

Just remember CTRL! smile

I do like this editbox though

Edit: If this is the natural way things happen with multiline editboxes, then it's probably best to leave it be... It's just that I (and many other users) have always used UP/DOWN to navigatate previous messages.

Last edited by The_JD; 20/07/08 10:39 PM.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You can Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down to traverse your editbox history, just like you would with a regular multi-line editbox.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
As far as #3 goes, you have ctrl-up and ctrl-down to read other lines... and this works the same way that the multiline edits do in terms of hiding the lines above what you've written. scrollbars would be nice, but no one's ever complained about this with the multiline

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
grr, thanks, i kept on hitting ctrl-page_up/down when i thought i was hitting ctrl-up/down. smile

And it may have always been this way with multi-line edit boxes, but the problem is that there will be a LOT of folks running into this situation that never had before, because they - like me - had never used multi-line editboxes.

Last edited by maroon; 21/07/08 03:20 AM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
right, and they'll get used to it. Like i said, a scrollbar would be an interesting idea but its not a bug nor is it all that life threatening an omission.. the automatic editbox currently fills up to half the window size, which is usually at least 3 or 4 lines.. not many people actually type that much to begin with, considering most servers cap messages at < 512 bytes. im not too sure many people would even notice.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Originally Posted By: The_JD

2. (Feature request): can we have SHIFT + enter do the same thing as CTRL+Enter - I use shift + enter on most apps (ie, Windows Live Messenger)

I second this behaviour. alt+enter seems rather inconsistent to me between mIRC and other chat programs or even text processors (MS Word, etc). shift-enter is a far more used key combi to put in a return in a line without submitting the line, or place a 'soft-return' (like in Word), not breaking a paragraph of tekst.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think you meant to say Alt+Enter instead of Control+Enter, since Control+Enter is used to send text without processing it as a command if it is prefixed with /. If I recall correctly, at one time mIRC did use Shift+Enter instead of Alt+Enter, however users reported that it was too easy to press Shift+Enter while entering text, since Shift is also used to capitalize text. So it was subsequently changed to Alt+Enter.

If you type more text than the window can handle, you can view it by scrolling up or down with the cursor keys. This is how the multi-line editbox in previous versions worked as well in the past. I'll take a look at adding a vertical scrollbar in a future version though.

The /editbox command has always chopped off text at the first CR or LF. The reason for this is that CR LF and CRLF are all treated in a special way by editboxes, and differently depending on whether you are using a normal or richedit editbox, and whether it is a single/multi/auto editbox. So it's a lot more complicated than just pasting a $crlf $cr or $lf into it.

T
The_JD Offline OP
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Originally Posted By: Khaled
I think you meant to say Alt+Enter instead of Control+Enter, since Control+Enter is used to send text without processing it as a command if it is prefixed with /. If I recall correctly, at one time mIRC did use Shift+Enter instead of Alt+Enter, however users reported that it was too easy to press Shift+Enter while entering text, since Shift is also used to capitalize text. So it was subsequently changed to Alt+Enter.

Yep, I meant ALT+Enter, sorry... Can we revert to shift+enter AS well as ALT+Enter? Shift+Enter seems natural to me (and i'm sure many Windows users)

If you type more text than the window can handle, you can view it by scrolling up or down with the cursor keys. This is how the multi-line editbox in previous versions worked as well in the past. I'll take a look at adding a vertical scrollbar in a future version though.

Thanks!

The /editbox command has always chopped off text at the first CR or LF. The reason for this is that CR LF and CRLF are all treated in a special way by editboxes, and differently depending on whether you are using a normal or richedit editbox, and whether it is a single/multi/auto editbox. So it's a lot more complicated than just pasting a $crlf $cr or $lf into it.

I'm sure I used to be able to put $crlf in the single line editbox... resulting in two "boxes" allthough I dont believe it would send anything after that... I guess we wont be able to fill the auto/multi editbox with more than one line using the $crlf... is there another way?

Thanks smile

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Quote:
I'll take a look at adding a vertical scrollbar in a future version though

While I rarely use mirc anymore, I think this is a WONDERFUL idea and support it fully

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Originally Posted By: The_JD
Yep, I meant ALT+Enter, sorry... Can we revert to shift+enter AS well as ALT+Enter? Shift+Enter seems natural to me (and i'm sure many Windows users)
Instead of revert back to shift+enter, simply have an option under alt + o > Other > keys, it would be much better.
In anycase, i'm supporting the shift+enter key.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel

Link Copied to Clipboard