mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
How in the WORLD do you get a "+" or a "@" in front of your nickname?

Everytime I try to do something, I can't because I don't have that.

Could someone please help me?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Do you mean display it next to your nick, or actually get the operator / voice status?

You cant just "get" a +/@ in front of your nickname. + refers to voice status and @ refers to operator status-- both of these have to be given to you by someone with operator status (@). In most cases they have to be *earned*.

Operators (@) are analogous to the administrators/owners of the channel. You can't just say "I need to be an owner of this channel" and expect it to happen. Usually such a request results in your removal from the channel.

As far as the + voice status goes, it's mostly symbolic unless the channel is +m. Voice users have no power besides the ability to talk when the channel is +m-- so if the channel is not +m, there's no reason to even ask for such a status unless you're the kind of person who likes looking at yourself in the mirror with expensive clothes on.

If you "can't do anything" without those statuses, there's a good reason for that.. you shouldnt be 'doing' anything besides chatting, on IRC. Administrators have the extra responsibility of maintaining channel order, but I wouldn't consider it something "to do". If you want these statuses, join/create your *own* channel where you have this power.

You can learn more about modes and how irc works by typing /ircintro in mIRC and reading about it.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
H
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
H
Argv0,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Since the "@" symbolizes operators, that's not what I'm looking for.

The "+" symbol, however, is.

Someone was trying to help me and they got as far as setting my ports. They said they had to be configured differently since I have a router to access my internet.

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
Quote:
Someone was trying to help me and they got as far as setting my ports. They said they had to be configured differently since I have a router to access my internet.

Please do not listen to that person.1) they have no idea what they are talking about. 2) they are trying to gain access to your computer. The ONLY way to get + (or voice flag) in someone elses channel is for a channel op to give it to you. And this is done server side. Your ports have NOTHING to do with + or @ flags.

Happy mIRC user on Linux
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

The person is probably trying to help set them up to serve files and that's how they'll get their voice.

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
You could be right, and in that case they should be very careful. Also I understand that helping folks serve files is frowned upon so I guess I am out of this thread.

Happy mIRC user on Linux

Link Copied to Clipboard