#173830 30/03/07 11:31 PM
R
reko_t Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
Hey,

I'm not really sure if this can be considered as a bug or not, but I think this is the best place to post this. I tried finding if anyone else had reported this, but couldn't find anything.

I recently upgraded to Vista, and I have the aero glass effect enabled (eg. title bars of windowses have the blurry, transparent effect). This works fine on mIRC when the child windowses (channels, private messages, etc.) aren't maximized, but when they are maximized so that the title bar of the whole client becomes the title bar of the active window, the aero glass effect shortly disappears, and mIRC uses the Vista Basic look.

Would it be possible to have aero glass enabled while still having mIRC's child windows maximized within the client?

Thanks.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
While this particular situation may not have been reported, there have been a lot of reports regarding problems between Vista and mIRC. A search for the term Vista will bring up some (or all) of the topics.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
This is a bit or a useless troll post, but the plural of window is windows nor windowses. (yeah, im bored, and since it was spelled that way multiple times i assumed it was not a mistype)

On the original subject, could this be caused by the different titlebar update procedures used between a regular titlebar update (rare as it must be user initiated), and one where the child window has to append and refresh all the time.

What happens if you use a script to change the titlebar text periodically (quickly or slowly) using the /titlebar command?

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I'm not entirely sure if this is the issue but:

if you maximize a window, the titlebar looses it's aero glass look. I believe this happends to every application you maximize (at least it did with RC1...)

so it might be a feature of vista and not a bug in mIRC?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
B
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
B
The glass effect is dropped but the style of aero is kept when maximized. I am not usre how child fullscreen windows are suppose to look tho as there is no examples I know of inside Windows itself.. Maybe I'll install office 2007 and see what it does.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I'm unable to test aero glass currently, however my guess is that mIRC can't influence how Vista applies aero glass features to maximized MDI windows. It may be an intentaional behaviour in the way Vista handles maximized MDI windows or it may be a Vista bug. Does the same thing happen in other MDI based applications?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Right, I was able to test mIRC under Vista with aero glass, however I was not able to reproduce the issue you mention. When I run mIRC under Vista Aero Glass, the mIRC titlebar is translucent as expected. I then maximize windows inside of mIRC, eg. the status window and the mIRC titlebar is still translucent.

Are you able to reproduce this with a new cleanly installed copy of mIRC, and just by maximizing the status window? Or is it only happening in other situations?

R
reko_t Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
Originally Posted By: Khaled
Are you able to reproduce this with a new cleanly installed copy of mIRC, and just by maximizing the status window? Or is it only happening in other situations?

I can't seem to reproduce it with a clean install of mIRC. I'll try to find out exactly what causes it on my other client and post if I'm able to figure it out.

R
reko_t Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
Okay it seems that I found out the cause of it. If you maximize the MDI window(s), and switch the active window to a channel with unicode characters in the topic, the translucent effects disappears. This only happens when there's unicode characters in the titlebar, for all other channels/windows with titlebars that didn't contain any unicode characters the bug doesn't happen.

Note. If you set a topic with unicode characters, you have to switch to another window and back before the bug occurs.

F
Babel fish
Babel fish
F
unicode chr's did it, i was able to reproduce the issue on vista. it seems that the font of titlebar is also changing, ( not much, but noticeable change of lettering )

known on irc as MrStonedOne
read my full post before replying or dont reply. tl;dr isn't allowed here
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That sounds like a bug in Vista rather than mIRC. Vista (or at least Aero Glass) may not be entirely unicode compatible.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
reko_t Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
I thought about that possibility as well, but Unicode works on title bar in various different webbrowsers, such as IE 7, FF 2 and Opera 9. Just search any Japanese site from Google to verify that.

So I can only assume it's mIRC.

Last edited by reko_t; 07/04/07 02:37 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hm... ok, that could be true, then. Unicode support is still relatively new in mIRC, so maybe the titlebar support isn't ironed out yet.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
F
Babel fish
Babel fish
F
it can still be vista + midi windows, u'd have to use something that uses the same thing. like word.

R
reko_t Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
R
Well, I quickly coded a small test app to test that possibility (I don't have Office installed).

Here's the result:

As you can see, works correctly.

Last edited by reko_t; 07/04/07 07:03 PM.
F
Babel fish
Babel fish
F
yes. and atm mirc wont switch back to aero glass and i dont want to restart it, even the close buttons are in non-aero mode, and stay that way if i stop and start aero. this is soooo odd.

well, i restarted it and did some testing. it seems that if u use /titlebar it wont do it tell you make mirc change the titlebar, like taking a mdi window out of maximize. or setting it while the mdi windows aren't maximized.

Last edited by FaiNT; 07/04/07 11:04 PM.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Right, that's because mIRC uses it's own custom routines for displaying unicode text in the titlebar, since mIRC is not a unicode application. I'm not sure how easy this will be to resolve. It should be possible if Vista allows access to its theming APIs. Making mIRC custom draw titlebars under XP themes was tricky, so let's hope Vista APIs are better documented...

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Seeing as 6.3 still has this issue, is a solution in the workings or should we just get over it for the moment? (Just curious, not trying to be pushy)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I've spent the last day or so looking into this and so far I haven't been able to find a solution. The Vista theming examples I've found indicate that it shouldn't be that difficult, unfortunately no matter how I implement it, Vista always reverts to a non-aero-glass theme. I have fixed a few display glitches though, so it's not all a total loss :-)

V
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
V
When can we expect these fixes to be released? Or better yet, when can we expect mIRC to become real unicode application? smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard