mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
L
yeah basically the question is in the topic.

Leona@5ad3c19e.bb.sky.com
is what i want.

Not: Leona@255.255.255.255

it's really annoying me, i see other users with their local host on =/ on the same server and mine shows my IP and its really annoying so could anyone help me?

Last edited by LeonaBrooke; 30/04/08 07:25 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Generally, you will see your IP address and anyone else will see your host address. The exception to this is if the person looking is an IRCop, in which case they can see both.
If you want to see your host address, rather than IP, you can get it by doing //echo -a $gettok($address($me,5),-1,33)

This will show you your host address, in the format you specified, and only to you.

L
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
L
umm anyway to break that down? o_O;

and it's for others to see aswell.

also this is what i get when i connect:
(09:46:33) * Connecting to irc.purplesurge.net (6667)
(09:46:34) Local host: 5ad3c19e.bb.sky.com (90.211.193.158)

and it still uses my IP =/

and i tried attempting what you said but all it did was come up with my ident and vhost. even with /hs off

Last edited by LeonaBrooke; 30/04/08 08:52 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
RussellB, that's not really true. If you /whois yourself, you'll see whatever everyone else sees **in regard to either it being an IP or a DNS host**. This is, of course, also true for any other time your host is shown (joins, parts, etc).

LeonaBrooke, try changing your Local Info settings (Alt-O > Connect > Local Info). Set it to use Local Host instead of IP Address on Connect. You may also want/need to try both lookup methods to get it working. Personally, I use Server for the lookup method and I always use the DNS and not the IP.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
L
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
L
even with that, it still doesn't work.
because whenever i tick the Local Host box, the IP Address box ticks aswell and locks which makes it unable to untick. this is sure confusing x_x;

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It doesn't matter if the IP stays checked. Like I said, put host and then play around with the Lookup Method.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
This has nothing to do with mIRC's settings

The problem is that the server you're connecting to is not able to reverse dns your hostname from your connecting IP

This either means there's a problem with your ISP's dns servers, or there is a routing problem between the IRC server and the dns servers themselves. Both of these issues are usually temporary.

type /dns 90.211.193.158, if that works, then it's the IRC server's fault. It should clear up eventually.

No mIRC setting can change what the IRC server decides to show for your hostname, it's completely up to the server. The lookup method will not affect this.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
Originally Posted By: LeonaBrooke
yeah basically the question is in the topic.

Leona@5ad3c19e.bb.sky.com
is what i want.

Not: Leona@255.255.255.255

it's really annoying me, i see other users with their local host on =/ on the same server and mine shows my IP and its really annoying so could anyone help me?

U'r ISP must do something called "IP reverse" on your IP:port (6667 most used)

L
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
L
My port already is 6667 =/

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

There is nothing you can do about this. Regardless of the IRC port you're using or what mIRC settings you use, when you connect to an IRC server, the server performs a reverse DNS lookup on your ip address to get a host name. If this lookup fails then it just uses your IP address instead of your host name. This is very common on IRC and the problem is most likely with your ISP's DNS servers.

Some networks offer vhosts (virtual hosts) for registered users, ask them for more information by joining their help channel (#Help?).

~ Edit ~
Just read the rest of the thread and seen argv0 use almost the same explanation.

Link Copied to Clipboard