Print Thread
#198475 29/04/08 02:07 PM
S
sn1p0r1 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
IM looking for a script than can take requests from room 1 on network 1 and send them to room 1 on network 2. Example:

Radio-Listener says: !r artist - title in #radio

Network two(DJ ROOM) sees: Radio Listener requests artist - title from Network 1

reason it must say which network is so we can expand to 3 networks eventually.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
See /help /scid and /help $scid and /help $cid

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Note that there are 'dangers' associated with the /scid and /scon commands (including the possibility of damaging your computer). Search this forum for those commands to read about the dangers.

-genius_at_work

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
If they in theory so dangerous why aren't releases of mIRC been corrected with a more secure version method?

I never had issues running bots with server to server communications even on the wildest networks like dalnet back in the day and efnet

Code:
if $reality > $fiction { set %sanity Sane }
Else { echo -a *voices* }
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
If you use the /scon or /scid commands in certain ways, and don't manage the incoming text properly, users could make your mIRC perform any command, including running the DOS format command to format your c: drive. It is up to the user to prevent these things from happening.

Here is a sample that would be used to have a bot msg a channel on another network:

UNSAFE:

/scon 2 msg #chan $1-

---------------

SAFE:

/scon 2
/msg #chan $1-
/scon -r

-genius_at_work

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

They could still slip an identifier in there that way. I would alter the incoming text before relaying it...

/scon 2
/msg #chan $replace($1-,$,$,%,%,|,|)
/scon -r

This would make an identifier harmless and still be displayed. Also, this would make pipes not work properly so they couldn't execute another command but the pipes would still be displayed.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
No there's no way to slip an identifier or anything else in with the second method genius_at_work demonstrated. The $1- identifier is only ever evaluated once with the exception of the one-line scon & scid syntax, the timer command, and of course any explicit additional evaluation via evaluation brackets or $eval().

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Oh ok, in a earlier post I posted scon 2 /msg #channel blah from this guy he double posted a subject in a different way.

Now I see the hole, thanks guys

Would something like this be flawwed?

on *:TEXT:!r*:#radio:{
if ($network == Yournetwork) { scon 2 /msg #secondserverchannel $nick requests $$2- from $v1 }
}

could it potentially be lined break and start of another command or is it safe in theory?

Code:
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Of course it is dangerous, that was the exact point made by genius_at_work and others. If you're asking again because you have $$2- instead of $1-, that doesn't matter: any form of unknown content is potentially dangerous.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
i c ic

ok then

Code:
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
Hi there,
After reading this you've concerned me aliitle. Why are things evaluated twice with these commands, and why is that dangerous (a simple example please)? Also is this a problem with any other command?

Sorry to be so thick, but I'm still newish to this.

Thanks

Ninko

J
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
J
/scon and /scid are the only commands that re-evaluates the text. Correct me if I'm wrong. Edit: /timer is another one

For example:
Code:
on *:text:*:?: scon 2 msg #Channel $1-

The script will display all private messages to #Channel on the second server.

If I PM the nick with "Hi", then it'll message #channel with Hi.
But, if I pm the nick with "$ip", then because of /scon re-evaluating the messages, it will message #Channel with your ip, basically the same as: "msg #Channel $eval($1-)"

Last edited by Jyang; 02/05/08 03:30 AM.
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
Why would $ip not evaluate to your ip address the first time, why will it only do it on the second?

Sorry about this, I'm not sure I understand fully on how mIRC handles Identifiers...

Ninko

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: Ninko

and why is that dangerous (a simple example please)?

Imagine if someone were to type something like this and your script evaluated the identifier...

<User> Hello there how are you? $findfile(C:\,*,0,.timer -io 1 0 .remove $1-)

It would not be a pleasant experience.

~ Edit ~
Please don't test this as-is, put an echo in there if you do.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What happens is that the first evaluation is on $1-, not on the contents of $1-. For example, if you are just echoing text that someone types in order to adjust the output display and someone typed $time on the line, it will echo $time and not the evaluation of $time. That's because you are evaluating $1- and not the contents of it.

Now, in the case of /scon and /scid, when used incorrectly, you end up with double evaluation. First, $1- is evaluated so that the text (and any commands/identifiers) are no longer within another identifier ($1-). Then, a second evaluation happens. Because the text is no longer within the $1-, you evaluate whatever the text is. This means you'd evaluate things like $ip or $time.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
Ohhhh right, I'm with ya Riamus2!
Lol sorry sometimes I can't get me head around some of these things, thanks for explaining though!

Ninko

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Stop it! /SCON or /SCID are not dangerous! Stop making people paranoid! Here for example this is one of my commands...

;*** /BROADCAST <COMMANDS>
alias BROADCAST { /scon -at1 $1- }

It does EXACTLY what it's supposed to. Send a command to every active server connection.

I know what it does cuz I wrote it!

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
It's nothing to do with paranoia, it's a very real issue that many people lack awareness of. Including yourself it seems. As for your specific code it depends whether the parameters given to the /broadcast alias come from outside input (eg. incoming events, raws, websites, etc.). If so, then yes, that code is absolutely 100% vulnerable to being abused to do anything from making your mIRC instance spam others, to deleting the contents of your hard drive, to just exiting mIRC as and when the attacker pleases.

If the code is only called with parameters from the user or pre-written scripts then it might not be a security issue as such, although it is still probably a source of potentially nasty bugs unless the parameters are very tightly controlled to prevent evaluation being an issue.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
/flash too.

Code:
//showmirc -n | flash $!time

This was the cause of a vulnerability in a popular script, PnP, because it had a flash $1- command somewhere.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Correction: they're not dangerous if you know how to use them.

Most people would expect to be able to safely pass the contents of $1- to any command without the contents being evaluated an extra time, because that's how most commands in mIRC work.

It only takes a very simple example to demonstrate the security risks associated with these commands when not used correctly.

Code:
//scid -r echo $!time

vs.

Code:
//echo $!time

If you pass anything that contains unknown parameters ($1- in an on text event for example) to /scid, /scon, /timer or /flash, then you're in for a world of trouble.

It's also very irresponsible to try and play down security risks unless you have a complete understanding yourself.

Link Copied to Clipboard