Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#196501 17/03/08 10:56 PM
kEat0n Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Hello..

I don't know if any of you are familiar with a chat network on deviantART called dAmn, but I just recently downloaded mIRC, and want to configure it to work with dAmn. I choose to use this because my schools network has blocked dAmn, but not mIRC. So if I configure mIRC to work with dAmn, I won't run into the problem of my school blocking the website. Yes I do use a proxy, but deviantART refuses to accept this proxy on their website, automatically kicking me from any chatroom. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

kEat0n #196509 18/03/08 12:10 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If it's an IRC network, just connect to it. You'll need to address and channel name(s). Such as irc.somenetwork.org and #somechannel. Then, just use /server irc.whatever.org and then /join #whateverchannel .

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #196516 18/03/08 02:15 AM
kEat0n Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay,but where do I do this?

DeviantART is on the mIRC list of servers, but when the deviantART file is opened, just "random server" shows up.

kEat0n #196519 18/03/08 02:41 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
That just means that there is more than one server associated with DeviantART and a random server (per the name), is used to connect you to the network, rather than giving you the option of selecting a specific server for that network.

RusselB #196524 18/03/08 03:17 AM
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
just double click that and then connect

This is not the signature you are looking for
RusselB #196525 18/03/08 03:17 AM
kEat0n Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh okay..

Now when I connect to #randomroom I just get a blank screen with nothing but a message in the room saying "you have joined #randomroom." No one there..

confused

kEat0n #196526 18/03/08 03:18 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Then no one is there. Try another channel.

Invision Support
Riamus2 #196528 18/03/08 03:25 AM
kEat0n Offline OP
OP Offline
I know people are there because I am chatting in the same room on deviantART right now..

kEat0n #196535 18/03/08 09:29 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
There is no such channel called #randomroom on that network. The largest channel is #aow or #devart, try them. Or ask the people you're talking to elsewhere what server address/channel name you need.

mIRC is just a client, there's not much we can do if you can't find a channel or a network, that's up to you to find out.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
kEat0n #196537 18/03/08 12:10 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Beyond what Mentality stated, it is possible that whatever other way you're connecting doesn't really use that network, but a separate one with the same name. Ask for the exact address and channel name to use with mIRC from the people on that network.

Invision Support
Mentality #196564 19/03/08 02:12 AM
kEat0n Offline OP
OP Offline
#randomroom is just an example I used to explain to you that this is the case for any room I try to connect to.

Riamus2 #196565 19/03/08 02:40 AM
kEat0n Offline OP
OP Offline
And where would I get the names of the exact channel name and address?

kEat0n #196566 19/03/08 03:27 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Ask for the exact address and channel name to use with mIRC from the people on that network.

Highlighting added to emphasize what was said previously.

Invision Support
kEat0n #196581 19/03/08 06:40 PM
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Originally Posted By: kEat0n
Hello..

I don't know if any of you are familiar with a chat network on deviantART called dAmn,

I don't see how, a network can exist within an IRC network.

Quote:
but I just recently downloaded mIRC, and want to configure it to work with dAmn.

So false question.

Quote:
I choose to use this because my schools network has blocked dAmn, but not mIRC.

In that event, they blocked the ports that you use to connect to IRC.

Quote:
So if I configure mIRC to work with dAmn, I won't run into the problem of my school blocking the website. Yes I do use a proxy, but deviantART refuses to accept this proxy on their website, automatically kicking me from any chatroom. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

It could be unethical for anyone to help you bypass a law that might be unethical. It isn't about whether or not the law is ethical or not, but whether fighting it for a consequence worth more than it is good or not.

Originally Posted By: kEat0n
And where would I get the names of the exact channel name and address?

On that network type /list.

Neal C.

LostShadow #196586 19/03/08 07:24 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
DeviantArt is a website, not just an IRC network. And there is no such thing as a "false question".

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
kEat0n #196587 19/03/08 07:35 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
It appears the dAmn service uses a completely separate network from the IRC network listed in mIRC's server list (although they're both run by DeviantArt). It's quite simple to discover the server and port being used by dAmn, but it is also clear that they don't want anyone using it with clients other than their own. Attempting to connect with mIRC causes this response from the server:
Quote:
This is not an IRC Server, see http://help.deviantart.com/chat/generalchatquestions/ for details

Of course the first part isn't really true, it quite clearly is an IRC server, at least at heart. But it seems they've modified the connection procedure to prevent the casual user from connecting with regular IRC clients. If you're determined then I'm sure it is possible to figure out the altered connection protocol using a packet sniffer. But that's quite an involved process and not something anyone here can teach you how to do. In any case, even if you were to connect it seems the dAmn Java client sends messages as HTML, meaning you'd have to do some scripting in mIRC just to make messages readable.

To sum up, it's probably a lot more trouble than it's worth. Especially given that it would likely only be a matter of time before the school network admins realised what was happening and blocked mIRC.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Re:

Quote:
I don't know if any of you are familiar with a chat network on deviantART called dAmn

The problem with his argument was he used the usage of the word dAmn as if it were an IRC network. The only problem is that dAmn is not the $network value.

I suppose dAmn could stand for deviant Art main network. In that case, it refers to itself as a network. However, the chat.deviantart.com page itself just lists channels, making the page a directory.

However, this is not the argument. The argument would have to be deviantART and dAmn are used synonysmously, and in that case, you are right.

I obviously argued as if dAmn is something else, not a network. But I don't know what dAmn is, so I don't make any conclusions about it except my own interpretations.

Neal C.

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Well, my example of netiquette is not to dodge criticisms or questions or statements directed to me.

Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
And there is no such thing as a "false question".

Albeit, my definition of a false question is 1 that cannot be answered.

An example is, "Why does 2 + 2 = 5?" (in base 10).

That would be a false question as I interpret it because you can't answer the question as if it were true. The problem is in the question itself. You have to debunk the question, and answer a rephrased question.

A response "2 + 2 does not equal 5." Does not actually answer the question.

It answers the qustion "Does 2 + 2 = 5?"

In other words, the only way possible to answer a question is by making a new question and answering that.

I know my examples can be sucky but I hope you can understand them in principle.

Neal C.

LostShadow #196597 19/03/08 10:29 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If that's your definition of a "false question," then it's your own personal definition and holds no meaning for anyone else. And regardless how you want to interpret it, ALL questions can be answered one way or another. By answering that it isn't equal to 5, you are still answering the original question. "It isn't" is a perfectly valid and logical answer to such a question. The question is in no way "false" or bad or anything else. It just shows a lack of knowledge from the person asking the question. The question itself is still valid.

Now please stop diverting threads. If you want to discuss *this* topic further, create a thread in General Discussion and we'll continue. Otherwise, just stick to answering what was asked by the OP. And ignore wording that you know is incorrect. Just because you know the wording is not right, you can also figure out what was trying to be asked. So rather than complain about the wording, just answer the question. Remember that not everyone speaks English as a primary language here and not everyone has years of experience with IRC, so they don't always know the correct terminology. It doesn't help anyone to point it out to everyone who messes up.

Last edited by Riamus2; 19/03/08 10:33 PM.

Invision Support
Riamus2 #196599 19/03/08 10:35 PM
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
If that's your definition of a "false question," then it's your own personal definition and holds no meaning for anyone else.

Absolutely. And logically, you would believe everything someone says - unless you find errors in it.

Quote:
And regardless how you want to interpret it, ALL questions can be answered one way or another. By answering that it isn't equal to 5, you are still answering the original question.

In order to answer why 2 + 2 is equal to 5, that would require you to agree that 2 + 2 is equal to 5.

The moment you disagree with the question - you have to change it.

Quote:
The question is in no way "false" or bad or anything else.

The question itself is false because 2 + 2 could not equal 5.

Quote:
It just shows a lack of knowledge from the person asking the question.

Absolutely.

Quote:
The question itself is still valid.

My job is to look for whether the question has contradicting properties or not. You may imply a square circle, but there isn't 1, so you'll have to do without.

Neal C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard