mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
For many people it is, do you have a problem with that?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Unfortunately, the first things that come to the minds of many when anything -chat- is mentioned are perverts and pedophiles. It seems to me that having advertisements like that on the main page of the leading IRC client would just further fuel that way of thinking.

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Not only is IRC about dating, gay chat rooms, parents dating, etc., IRC is also about other stuff.

But you knew that.

As per what I think your objective is (the pain and suffering of having to see those ads everytime you go to the site), you have my sympathy.

-Neal.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Why? Do single parents and gay people stir images of perverts and pedophiles in your mind? Not mine. If not yours, then surely it's the minds of the ignorant that it would, and quite frankly I couldn't care less if mIRC's website caters for them or not. In fact there are networks/channels on IRC itself dedicated to certain groups of people, some of which are mentioned in the example ads given by Sh4dow.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Yea I get what your saying Mentality, but I agree with RoCk, I am not against having dating rooms etc. etc. but for some people it give the wrong image. Besides this is only a small portion of what irc is about but it seems to completly dominate the website.

Making mIRC look like a place onlyfor dating, when there is so much more to it, Scripting, Chatting with friends, Gaming. etc.

Hope ya get me,

Shadow.

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Remember, keep in mind Khaled might be making a profit from these ads. Or is he doing them for free? You have to weigh in your pain of seeing those ads versus how much he makes.

Originally Posted By: Sh4d0w191
I am not against having dating rooms etc. etc. but for some people it give the wrong image. Besides this is only a small portion of what irc is about but it seems to completly dominate the website.

Making mIRC look like a place onlyfor dating, when there is so much more to it, Scripting, Chatting with friends, Gaming. etc.

The argument is whether or not the site should advertise more intelligent chats versus lesser-intelligent chats. And it's certainly not going to be more intelligent chats if the majority of people are idiots. Advertising a science or politics chat could lessen their interests - but I would actually support that - since it might make the pedophiles go away.

However, you should know, probably the average Internet-addict searching for chatrooms, would be looking for dating chats. A chemistry Ph.D professor, on the other hand, that's looking for a chemistry chat, the fact that he see dating ads won't prevent him from looking for the science chats. So I'm not sure the minority is affected in this case.

-Neal C.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Google displays whatever ads it thinks are appropriate based on the content of your website. There is no way to influence what Google chooses since it is doing it all automatically. If you are seeing "fix mirc.exe" ads, then a company has most likely decided to advertise with Google using those key words. I've also seen other adds that use "mIRC" as a keyword to advertise dating, anti-virus software, gaming, chat sites, and so on. These seem fine to me.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
IRC is used by millions of people for all kinds of reasons - all of which revolve around the idea of meeting and communicating with other people. This includes making friends, dating, learning, gaming, scripting, or otherwise. So far, I've seen Google ads that cover a wide range of topics appropriate to the wide range of interests that IRC users, as human beings, have. As I mentioned in my previous post, Google displays ads contextually - based on the content and type of website you have, so there's no way to change what it displays, although I can block ads on an ad by ad basis - however I haven't seen anything particularly odd so far.

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Arg.. Khaled's is talking to much *kills self*

Anyways I get you Khaled, but google is annoying >.> with lots of adds that are 0.01% to do with mIRC :P

*sigh* Khaled has silence me.. for now

-Shadow

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
I hadn't noticed the ads until I saw this thread and disabled Firefox's Ad-Block extension.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard