mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
X
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
X
Hi there i have just upgraded from vists ultimate 64bit where i was able to use the url links from such sources as packetnews.com but since i have upgraded to vista ultimate 64bit with service pack 1 there is no protocol for using those links anymore. Is there a way to fix this problem ??? plz help

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
mIRC supports the irc://, http(s):// and mailto protocols. The rest have to be implemented with the on hotlink event. Type /help on hotlink in mIRC.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Make sure that you are using mIRC 6.31 and that you have DDE enabled in mIRC's options -- Alt-O > Other > DDE. I know it works fine in 32-bit Vista, but not sure about 64-bit Vista.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Umm, what does DDE have to do with the string-recognition of URL's?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Windows can use DDE to communicate with programs when an associated file type or protocol is opened - I'm not sure if mIRC still uses this method, but it used to.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Yes, I know what DDE is, and what it's used for. That's why I'm asking what DDE has to do with this topic?

As far as I was aware, mIRC doesn't *USE* DDE for any of the URL matching it does. I've never turned it on and always had URL catcher working just fine.

So, unless the OP is talking about an external application reading packetnews spitting DDE requests out for mIRC to capture (and then completely failed to mention such), the use of DDE is moot for this thread.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
DDE is on by default.

DDE is used by Windows to communicate with filetype/protocol handlers. This is done at the application's discretion.

mIRC registers itself as the IRC protocol handler.

mIRC versions prior to 6.3 used the DDE method to receive notifications of an IRC protocol link being opened.

Therefore if DDE is disabled in mIRC versions prior to 6.3 then irc:// links, such as those employed by packetnews.com, will not work.

Get it?

That said, irc:// links didn't work on Vista prior to 6.3 anyway, which probably instigated the change. This is also a likely source of the OP's problem.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Umm, mIRC has never done such a thing via DDE.. As I said, DDE is turned off on my machine, and irc:// links work just fine.

The irc:// resource type is in the registry as being owned by mIRC, but that wasn't done via DDE.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC versions prior to 6.3 did use the DDE method. Install 6.21 and try it, I did.

mIRC versions greater than 6.3 no longer use DDE for irc:// links.

You are running mIRC 6.31.

Stop being an idiot.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I've always had DDE turned off, in all versions, and have never had irc:// link issues.

So, show me where you think this DDE thing was, then I'll shut it and 'Stop being an idiot'.

There's no mention in the documentation that the method of registering the irc:// handlers changed. So.. Where?

X
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
X
i uninstalled service pack 1 now its working like it was before... but if anyone knows of a way to fix it plz reply coz i want to reinstall sp1

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
What's stopping you from spending 30 seconds installing mIRC 6.21, typing /ddeserver off and seeing if irc:// links stop working?

mIRC 6.21:

mIRC 6.31:

Originally Posted By: versions.txt
16/08/2007 - mIRC v6.3
29.Fixed irc:// links not working under Vista.

I think you'll still be an idiot, though. Oh well.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Nope..

IRC links work perfectly, without DDE server on.

Sucks to be you smile

Possibly this is due to me still using XP, however I highly doubt that the behavour has changed that much..

If it can't find the DDE service running, it will just launch the 'Application used to perform action'.

I have learnt, however, that it *CAN* use DDE instead of just launching. But it doesn't *NEED* DDE to do the launch.

But you're probably right, I am still an idiot smile Always will be.. It's more fun that way.. smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Bekar
If it can't find the DDE service running, it will just launch the 'Application used to perform action'.

In other words, it won't work by default without it as has been stated. If you look for DDE in this forum, you'll find a lot of people told to enable it when having problems and then they come back and say it works now.

That said, apparently it's not needed in 6.31 anymore, which I didn't know.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:

Correct! 6.21 will launch and not connect to the server, because DDE is off and hence Windows cannot tell it an irc:// link has been clicked. So, what you're saying is that irc:// links will not work with DDE off. "Working perfectly" indeed.

Glad you agree. It rocks to be me.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Umm, why are you fixated on 6.21 by the way? Oh, and you interpreted that quoted sentance backwards.

It works with or without DDE enabled.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
[url=irc://irc.dal.net/#mIRC][url=irc://irc.dal.net/#mIRC][url=irc://irc.dal.net/#mIRC]irc://irc.dal.net/#mIRC[/url][/url][/url] is an irc:// link. Clicking it in your web browser will not work in 6.21 and down if you don't have DDE enabled. It will not work at all in 6.21 and down if you're on Vista, even if you have DDE enabled. This is the kind of link that the original poster said wasn't working.

I'm "fixated" on 6.21 because it was both the last version to use DDE for irc:// links, and the last version to have trouble with irc:// links in Vista. Did you really not figure that out yet?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Originally Posted By: XanderOnPhazenet
i uninstalled service pack 1 now its working like it was before... but if anyone knows of a way to fix it plz reply coz i want to reinstall sp1

You will need to test this with sp1 installed: Verify that your ddeserver is on by typing /ddeserver on in mIRC and making sure that your irc protocol is setup the way it is in Collective's screenshot above. Then try clicking an irc:// link in a webbrowser and see if it works.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
To the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
I remember when people complained about irc links in 6.21 not launching under vista, i'm not sure if i replied, but mine worked (connected and joined a channel)
with * DDE Server is off
Never had that problem.. grin

Link Copied to Clipboard