mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
I founded a chatroom on chanserv and regularly went but then stopped going for a couple of months.

yesterday I went back in but no longer was automatically op-ed.

I tried identifying myself with the chatroom's password but it said that the chatroom is not registered.

When I tried to register the chatroom, it said that I have to be in it and op-ed.

there are a number of people who regularly go and none of them are op-ed.. I still have the password - why can't I identify myself as the founder?

v. grateful if you can fix this.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

The channel registration expired. This usually happens when the founders nick expires or when the founder doesn't identify for the channel for a period of time. I think nick/chan expiration for most networks is about 30 days but I've seen some as little as 14 days.

B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
Ok thanks, but how do I re-register it again?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
To register a channel try using /msg chanserv register <#channel> <password> <description>

Note that you probably must have a registered nick in order to register a channel.

I understand that there are networks that don't require the <description> that I posted earlier, but I've not come across one.

B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
Yes, I have tried that, as I mentioned in my first post, but it stated that I need to be op-ed to be able to register the channel. How do I get op-ed. No-one in this room gets op-ed as far as I can see.

B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
I use a registered nickname also, btw.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You will have to get everyone to leave the channel so that you can gain ops in it and register it again. Good luck doing that. I've had issues with that in the past and trying to get everyone to leave is often very difficult. I'd recommend setting up a temporary channel for them until you get it registered again.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
Post deleted by bluebird002

B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
Originally Posted By: bluebird002
Riamus2, thanks, that answers my question. I had suspected as such.

And yeah, I can't see it happening. some people are permanently logged into it, while they sleep and all. lol.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
create a small script, then when the channel is empty you auto cycle it to gain op again..
Code:
on *:PART:#: {
  if ($nick(#,0) == 1) { cycle $chan }
}
on *:QUIT:{
  if ($nick(#,0) == 1) { cycle $chan }
}
alias cycle { 
    part $1
    .timerj 1 1 join $1
}

This is how i solved the problem, but didnt test this code, was a while ago and dont have the code i used.

The code goes in a clean remote file. ALT + R in your mirc.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
I've never used a script before - how do I apply it. I put it in a clean remote file, then what?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
With that script, once you have it entered into the remote file, just wait.

B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
hey, I've had that script in a clean remote file and I've been in the aforementioned chatroom - logged in and out of it - and talking for some time... 15 minutes at least...

do i need to change something in the script - enter some variables or something?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
The script will just sit there waiting for you to be the only person in the channel. When that occurs, then the script will part you from the channel, then re-join it one second later. There is a small chance that someone could enter the channel during that one second period, but it's doubtful.

You must be in the channel for the script to work, so if you were logged out when the channel became empty, then the script couldn't have noticed that the channel was empty and have completed the rest of the code.

B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
ah, thanks.

that blows a bit. frown I can't see the chatroom ever being empty.. plus when I have to be in it also. there are usually always at least about 5-9 people in it.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
You could always ask the people to leave temporarily so that you can re-register the channel. If they are regulars they probably won't mind, and it only takes a couple of seconds, just as long a you are the first person to re-enter the room.

B
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
Yes, I will do that - only the problem is that many are inactive - not there, sleeping, doing other things, and will not see my msg. guess i would have to set up a temp chatroom until all of them finally see my msg and log out but it's all just so annoying and a hassle.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
The only other option that I can think of, and I don't suggest this lightly, is to contact an IRCop, preferably one that knows you, and ask them to use their access to temporarily remove the people that have been in the room for a long time, but not said or done anything (ie: the idlers). Some IRCops have this abiltiy, but not all, so even if you ask and the IRCop is willing to do so, they may not have the access.

I suggest you try the previously suggestions (ie: asking people to leave) for a day (or more) before taking this step.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just run a timed message in the channel asking people to move to the temp channel and then just sit there with that script until you're the last person there. Note that this can take weeks or even months to accomplish. In the future, if you're going to be offline for awhile, make sure you have some ops you can trust who will maintain ops there while you're gone.

Note that I'd recommend changing the script to include the channel name you're trying to get back instead of just # for all channels. It won't really hurt to have it for all channels, but you may not want to have it doing this in all of the channels you're in.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Originally Posted By: bluebird002
ah, thanks.

that blows a bit. frown I can't see the chatroom ever being empty.. plus when I have to be in it also. there are usually always at least about 5-9 people in it.

If you set a timed msg and send it to the channel, example: Please leav the channel so I can regain op.

then send it every 60 sec, I would guess people would be smart enough to part the channel smile it takes time, but since you arent that familure with mirc and i dont know if that network have protection against split op i wouldent recomend you to try solve it that way.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }

Link Copied to Clipboard