Print Thread
#188116 18/10/07 03:42 AM
M
Mpot Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
M
I remember seeing somewhere on this website, or in perhaps mIRC's helpfiles, what mIRC's scripting language is based on. However, after extensive searching, I have still not been able to find it. Ideas?

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Section 7:
Originally Posted By: FAQ
(A note for those familiar with ircii: mIRC's aliasing syntax is similar to ircii's, but not exactly the same. mIRC's Remote Command and Event sections allow you to implement many of the same things you can do with ircii scripting, but the structure and syntax are a bit different.)

As for the language as such, as far as I'm aware, it's not directly based on any other language, but bits and pieces from a number.

-edit-

For the record, that FAQ section could so with some serious updates! smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The closest language to mIRC's scripting language would be C++ or Java, without objects. It's still far from the same, but that's the closest you'll get in a language, I believe.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
you could see it as resembling c++ syntax on some points while having a javaish event handling system (where the event handler definitions are done behind the screen)...

but still it's not really close to either. I don't think you can compare a (dedicated) scripting language like mIRC script to any actual (multipurpose) programming language.

it simply uses most of the standard programming syntaxes found in alot of programming languages (those using brackets instead of code blocks) while having it's own syntax and event handling system purely made for handling IRC.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I didn't say it was the same. I said it was the closest you'd probably find.

Invision Support
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Yea well in the help files or w/e it was khaled said mirc most resembels C++ smile wich i am learning atm, and C++ is far far harder :S

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Mpot:

You're probably refering to this reference: http://www.mirc.com/khaled/faq.html

Quote:

Question: How did you write the scripting language?
Answer: I had no experience with writing compilers or parsers when I first started working on mIRC. The scripting language grew organically, it wasn't designed. Users provided much input and over time the language became relatively organized and stable, though it still has some quirks. I would say that the language resembles C more than anything else.

That was said a long time ago though, and probably only on the basis of using { } to denote blocks of code rather than begin/end's. C was one of the first languages to do this, which is why the syntax is now known as "C style syntax". However, mIRC does *not* have a C style syntax; the brackets are practically the only similarity to C there is. The rest is probably more common to a weird mixture of Tcl, VB and batch scripting than C.

That said, that's only the objective answer to what mIRC is like, not what it was influenced by or based on. For that, we can only take Khaled's direct words, and if he implies that it's a lot like C, then that's probably what was going through his mind when creating it, and therefore the influence of the language.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: Sh4d0w191
Yea well in the help files or w/e it was khaled said mirc most resembels C++ smile wich i am learning atm, and C++ is far far harder :S

Ummm... it is NOTHING at all like C, C++, or most ANY programming langauge. What ever you are learning, it's not C++.

Judging by the decision made by Khaled in the early days of mIRC, he was still learning and probably was sorta "making stuff up as he went along."

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Re-read what you quoted. He said that Khaled stated it was most like C++, not that he thought it was.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard