mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
C
Hi,

Recently, I started having a problem (and it may even be related to the problem I reported in random file corruption, since it only started to occur today after I had another file corruption) where mIRC would start to beep me for scripted events, and display something like "* Break: command halted (line «nn», «scriptname»)" in my status window.

It does not matter which line or script; If I unload the script that is being reported, the problem continues and gives a different line/script. If I unload that script, it again switches and seems to find problem with yet another script.

The exact lines which cause this problem also vary. Sometimes it's a local alias (alias -l), sometimes a global alias, sometimes an "on *" remote, etc. I have also upgraded to mIRC 6.3, from mIRC 6.21 (where the problem first occurred), and 6.3 continues to have this problem.

It should also be noted that while I did have a corrupted mirc.ini earlier today, the problem did not start immediately. In fact, after I fixed my mirc.ini, I have had mIRC up and running all day without problem. I was not even at my computer when it suddenly started happening. I was sleeping when it suddenly just started happening, and the beeping woke me up.

I do not see any file corruption, and I have shut down mIRC, rebooted my machine, and even upgraded to 6.3, and the problem still persists (it is not intermittent like the file corruption--this problem, once it started, won't go away now.)

Please let me know if I can provide any other helpful information.

Cas

[EDIT: I'm just now seeing another message, simply "* Break: command halted" without any additional information such as script and line numbers.]

Last edited by Casteele; 30/09/07 08:39 AM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Sounds like your ctrl+pause/break keys are stuck. Try tapping them both a few times and/or restarting your computer.

C
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
C
Originally Posted By: Collective
Sounds like your ctrl+pause/break keys are stuck. Try tapping them both a few times and/or restarting your computer.

Tried that already, and didn't help. Doesn't make sense anyhow, since I have rebooted--the POST didn't detect anything amiss with my keyboard, and it started while I was not even at the PC (mIRC wasn't even the active application at the time, it was entirely minimized to the tray.)

I have, however, gotten the problem to go away now.. By completely wiping out mIRC and installing a totally fresh copy. I have reloaded all my old scripts, and set everything up. The only difference as far as I can tell is the mirc.ini file, which was "built-up" fresh from the default install. I have also restored (to a different folder) the problem copy from my backup, and the problem does not seem to persist after the restore, either. So that rules out a problem with the ini file, too.

So I don't know what suggest or do now.. I can't get it to repeat the problem now that it is gone. Perhaps I have some flaky hardware, such as my RAM. I'll check that tomorrow.

In the meantime, perhaps I could turn this into a suggestion to the coder/code team: Add some kind of debug/diagnostics to mIRC, beyond the /debug on|off command and such. IE, something that can dump the state of a running copy of mIRC, including the settings it thinks it's using (which may be different in RAM than the settings in the ini file), keypresses/events that won't show up in the debug.log file, DLL's loaded and used, etc. (Or if there is already such a feature, how can I use it?)

Cas

T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
I've noticed both of your recent posts... Sounds like you may have hardware problems IMHO.

I may be wrong, but do some diagnostic tests, Make sure to test the S.M.A.R.T. status of your HDD's.

Hope you solve your issues soon.

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)

Link Copied to Clipboard