/NAMES reports:
#test @éà賢い
#test End of /NAMES list.

Which is all correct.

But the nick list displayed wrong:

The rest seemed fine.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can't seem reproduce this issue here. I joined irc.unilang.org and used the same nick (as well as other utf-8 nicks) and then joined a channel. The nick appeared correct in both the status window and the channel window nick list. Are you sure that the channel window you joined is set to display utf-8 in the fonts dialogs? If you send messages to the channel, does your nick appear correct in the channel window message?

D
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
D
Just checked it again, the problem is there, even with a vanilla mirc.(Just tried it)
I tried with unicode as display&encode, as just display, as default, they all did the same.

Last edited by DeathWolf; 28/09/07 11:51 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I still can't seem to reproduce this here in a clean install of mIRC 6.3 under XP. I used the same font and settings as in your post. mIRC is displaying the unicode correctly in the channel window, so I'm not sure why it would be having trouble displaying the same text for you in the nicklist. Which version of mIRC and Windows are you using?

D
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
D
confirmed on two other of my computers, but not on a third one.
All are WinXP SP2, with latest mIRC 6.3
The only difference I can think of, and related, is that the non-working ones have "Japanese" as the default locale for non-unicode problems, whereas the working one is "English (United States)" for that setting.

I have just tried switching one of the "Japanese" locale computer to "English", and bingo, it worked!

So this problem is locale related, and occurs at least with "Japanese" locale.

Another note: the default nick configuration dialogue in otpions does not like utf-8, at least not on both systems where I had /nick'ed to utf8, and where it became all viewed as the locale rather than utf8.

Last edited by DeathWolf; 29/09/07 04:03 PM.
D
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
D
another note: it's not only in the nicklist, but also in the title bars that it does not display properly.

D
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
D
Originally Posted By: DeathWolf
"Japanese" as the default locale for non-unicode problems

Obviously meant "non-unicode programs" and not problems;)
Lack of sleep can have devastating effects.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for looking into it, I was able to reproduce this issue as well when using a different locale.

It appears that under a different locale, eg. Japanese, when mIRC sets the UTF-8 text in the titlebar, listbox, or other controls, Windows automatically converts the literal UTF-8 text into the code page of the locale (since mIRC is not a unicode application). This results in the UTF-8 text being modified. When mIRC later tries to use this text, it is no longer valid UTF-8. That is what appears to be happening in any case.

I am still looking into this issue to see if I can find an easy way to resolve it.

D
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
D
I'm wondering if this might also be the link to the fact typing accentuated characters while using a cjk-ime will produce the unaccentuated version of the character(which does not happend in other some other applications)

reference for it:
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ub...amp;Search=true

Last edited by DeathWolf; 01/10/07 07:31 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard